Discuss A few questions about NVQ level 2 in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

I want to start off by saying that I have never worked in a construction environment in my entire life, so I am very unknowledge in this area. I have only worked at a coffee shop for 5 years of my life.

I am currently doing a Plumbing L2 and next year will start an NVQ L2. For the NVQ I will need to be hired by a plumber so I could do the practical tasks required for me to pass the course. Here's the thing, how does someone like me with no trade experience get hired by a Plumber cos all the job postings I see online require experience or hire qualifications both of which I don't have? Will I have to work for free to get hired? Also, how do I go about contacting a plumber and what is this placement actually called since its not really a apprenticeship and not really a proper job?

Secondly how many hours I will have to work per week to complete my NVQ within the 12 months period. I will likely have to still work at the coffee shop whilst doing the NVQ and will only be available on weekends and 1 other day of the week. Is this doable?

You may have to work for free, but can’t speak for whoever takes you on. It’s probably called a work experience placement, or something similar. You need to contact businesses in your area, or be prepared to travel. As for the amount of hours, I’ve no idea, I completed an apprenticeship, so all this was ironed out with the caveat that we sought our own employment, however a local council were taking on and interviewed all willing participants in our class.

Reply to A few questions about NVQ level 2 in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I got my water regs when I completed my NVQ level 3, in 2017. Do you have to renew this every year?
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
I have been doing my level 2 plumbing qualification for over 4 years now due to covid etc. I am now at a point where i will be sending my NVQ pack...
Replies
Views
Evening folks. Please excuse me if this question has been asked but……. I have currently just finished my lever 2 diploma in plumbing. I was...
Replies
Views
D
I have a hot water slab leak which is found behind my bathroom vanity. We heard the noise for a week but never saw any water. Just today we saw...
Replies
Views
drpepper68
D
Back