Discuss A strange dripping tap problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit off topic, but I was thinking of getting new taps along with a new kitchen sink.

Can you still get 1 1/2 bowl sinks with a DOUBLE drainer, as I haven't seen one for years. Ideally with an upstand at the rear too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought single bowl double drainer earlier this year, but it was an inset one.

Have the phrases, ceramic or 1/4 turn ever been mentioned ?

OP says doesnt turn off no matter how much he turns it,so wouldnt have thought it was 1/4 turn disc cartridge

I don't know how ceramic/qtr turn taps work. I understood when they first came out that they never needed rewashering but a friend had a pair on bathroom sink and one was always dripping badly (she was not on a meter so did nothing about it).

I must google to see how they work.

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THEM?

They are great for anyone with weak hands & very good for kitchen sink mixers as they tend to be used a lot, so very handy. I would always prefer to have ceramic disc taps that spare spindles can be got easily. When they drip often need new works on whichever side is faulty. They have a sealing washer at bottom of works which can eventually cause the discs inside to loosen & pass water. The works, like ordinary taps can start to seize & it's either a careful descale or new parts again. They will restrict the flow - especially on a gravity water system.

Have the phrases, ceramic or 1/4 turn ever been mentioned ?

OP says doesnt turn off no matter how much he turns it,so wouldnt have thought it was 1/4 turn disc cartridge

It is an ordinary tap with rubber washers, small ones that are screwed in.

Is it perhaps water that is draining from the spout? What happens if you give the spout a few sharp taps - does it run faster and then stop?

Will try this, but when I've left it drip, it seems to keep on going. Then it drives me mad so I do the "turn on and off the other tap" to stop it!

I think you need to get the plumber back and ask him to re-cut the seats just to be 100% sure.

sure its re- washer or seating 'crumble'

my mates call me 'mr tap' round here.lol.

I think you need to get the plumber back and ask him to re-cut the seats just to be 100% sure.

RingRing

Hello?

Hi you came round and re-washered my tap the other day.

Ok.

Well it's not leaking anymore but I've since been chatting to plumbers online and they say I should get you back to re-seat it anyway.

*click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A strange dripping tap problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Bristan Manhattan mixer tap in the kitchen. Five years ago, it started to drip. I replaced the valve in the cold water side and the...
Replies
Views
I have a kitchen mixer tap with quarter turn levers and the cold side started dripping. I took out the ceramic valve and replaced it with one from...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
This is probably obvious but I want to replace the cartridge to stop dripping. I have done similar before but I cannot work out how to remove the...
Replies
Views
I have been trying to turn off my outside tap for winter. When I turn the valve under the kitchen sink, it fails to stop the outside tap from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock