Search the forum,

Discuss A strange dripping tap problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stratobuddy

Both a friend and I have the same problem.

We both have single pillar mixer taps over the kitchen sink.

When I turn off my cold tap (using normal force) it invariabbly drips, sometimes a minute or so after turning it off.

It doesn't matter how hard I turn it off, the drip will not stop.

But if I momentarily turn on the hot tap then turn it off again (even though I haven't used it) the cold tap stops dripping.

In my friend's house, it is her hot tap that drips and she has to turn the cold tap on and off to stop it.

I spoke to my local plumber, he had never come acreoss this problem and couldn't explain it.

Both my taps have just been rewashered, but this has made no difference to the strange dripping.

Has anyone got an explanation?

No, it keeps dripping forever, but sometimes only starts dripping a short time after turning off, say one drip every 3 seconds once it starts.

He looked at i and said it was OK, I didn't see it myself.

Aye, as Simon says. It's common practise to recut the seat when rewashering. Gives the new washer half a chance.

Used to try and do it without reseating washer (seems like a lifetime ago) but too many hassles. So every one gets reseated now.

Once in a blue moon you'll get away with it, but for the sake of 2 minutes with a reseating tool.........

I still don't understand why and how I have to turn off one tap to stop the other one dripping. To try and find out was the reason I posted (and my friend has the same problem too).

What may be happening is when you open your hot tap you take pressure off the cold thus allowing the cold to sit properly,if you do as said above you may cure the problem

I don't know how ceramic/qtr turn taps work. I understood when they first came out that they never needed rewashering but a friend had a pair on bathroom sink and one was always dripping badly (she was not on a meter so did nothing about it).

I must google to see how they work.

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THEM?

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit off topic, but I was thinking of getting new taps along with a new kitchen sink.

Can you still get 1 1/2 bowl sinks with a DOUBLE drainer, as I haven't seen one for years. Ideally with an upstand at the rear too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought single bowl double drainer earlier this year, but it was an inset one.

Have the phrases, ceramic or 1/4 turn ever been mentioned ?

OP says doesnt turn off no matter how much he turns it,so wouldnt have thought it was 1/4 turn disc cartridge

I don't know how ceramic/qtr turn taps work. I understood when they first came out that they never needed rewashering but a friend had a pair on bathroom sink and one was always dripping badly (she was not on a meter so did nothing about it).

I must google to see how they work.

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THEM?

They are great for anyone with weak hands & very good for kitchen sink mixers as they tend to be used a lot, so very handy. I would always prefer to have ceramic disc taps that spare spindles can be got easily. When they drip often need new works on whichever side is faulty. They have a sealing washer at bottom of works which can eventually cause the discs inside to loosen & pass water. The works, like ordinary taps can start to seize & it's either a careful descale or new parts again. They will restrict the flow - especially on a gravity water system.

Have the phrases, ceramic or 1/4 turn ever been mentioned ?

OP says doesnt turn off no matter how much he turns it,so wouldnt have thought it was 1/4 turn disc cartridge

It is an ordinary tap with rubber washers, small ones that are screwed in.

Is it perhaps water that is draining from the spout? What happens if you give the spout a few sharp taps - does it run faster and then stop?

Will try this, but when I've left it drip, it seems to keep on going. Then it drives me mad so I do the "turn on and off the other tap" to stop it!

I think you need to get the plumber back and ask him to re-cut the seats just to be 100% sure.

sure its re- washer or seating 'crumble'

my mates call me 'mr tap' round here.lol.

I think you need to get the plumber back and ask him to re-cut the seats just to be 100% sure.

RingRing

Hello?

Hi you came round and re-washered my tap the other day.

Ok.

Well it's not leaking anymore but I've since been chatting to plumbers online and they say I should get you back to re-seat it anyway.

*click*

RingRing

Hello?

Hi you came round and re-washered my tap the other day.

Ok.

Well it's not leaking anymore but I've since been chatting to plumbers online and they say I should get you back to re-seat it anyway.

*click*

T&C's on said plumber's website:-

The passing of water is a natural process, and whereas every effort will be made to prevent the passing of water when taps are re-washered by us, no guarantee can be given that said tap will be drip-free.

For anyone experiencing problems with taps dripping after they have been repaired by us, we recommend turning off the water at the stopcock after each usage of the tap, followed by draining the pipe leading to the tap in question, which should render said tap drip-free.

Further assistance can be sought through our Customer Services Department – please ask for head of drips.

Later..............

ring... ring...

Customer: “Hello, it’s about my dripping tap!”

Plumber: “Oh no! Don’t tell me you’re still dripping on about your flaming taps!”

Customer: “I don’t like your attitude – I’ve had a basin full!”

Plumber: “Oh turn it off will you!”

Customer: “You promised me my taps would be leak free!”

Plumber: “Yeah, well, I haven’t charged you for the leaks, have I?”

Customer: “But my tap is still passing water!”

Plumber: “So am I at the moment, I’m on hands-free!”

Customer: “This dripping is driving me mad!”

Plumber: “Tell me about it!”

Customer: “Surely you can pull something out of the bag!”

Plumber: “Don’t you bring my wife into this!”

Customer: “I’ve been told my seat needs cutting”!

Plumber: “Probably too many burgers!”

Customer: “Don’t change the subject, my tap’s still running!”

Plumber: “So is the old nag I backed in the 3.30, but you don’t hear me moaning about it!”

Customer: “I’m lost for words!”

Plumber: “OK, so save on your phone bill!”

[FONT=&amp]Click … brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.[/FONT]

I have had the problem for years and always assumed it was the washer, but the workaround (turn off the other tap) always worked so I didn't bother.

The plumber spent 2 days installing new boiler etc, but said he would look at the tap before he left, especially as the hot tap would now be at mains pressure for the first time.

He was in a rush to leave, as the boiler took longer than he thought. It only took a few minutes to change the washers, and he TOLD me the seats were OK (but he was in a rush so may have said this even if they weren't).

It seemed OK when I tried the taps, but just after he left the symptoms started again, just like before.

He didn't charge for doing the washers (I was paying him £2000 anyway) so I would not expect him to come back just for this, but if the boiler goes wrong I will ask him to have another look when he comes.

I have had the problem for years and always assumed it was the washer, but the workaround (turn off the other tap) always worked so I didn't bother.

The plumber spent 2 days installing new boiler etc, but said he would look at the tap before he left, especially as the hot tap would now be at mains pressure for the first time.

He was in a rush to leave, as the boiler took longer than he thought. It only took a few minutes to change the washers, and he TOLD me the seats were OK (but he was in a rush so may have said this even if they weren't).

It seemed OK when I tried the taps, but just after he left the symptoms started again, just like before.

He didn't charge for doing the washers (I was paying him £2000 anyway) so I would not expect him to come back just for this, but if the boiler goes wrong I will ask him to have another look when he comes.

Or have a go yourself maybe?

Draper 12701 Tap Reseating Tool (17, 19 and 25 mm): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

( Sorry for lack of replies - on Hol )

Question , Does the " Open the other tap trick " work with any other tap in house ,
Thinking of a pressure build up ! Finding its way out at weakest point

( Do you have a water meter fitted )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A strange dripping tap problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock