Search the forum,

Discuss Actually wetting myself with laughter! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Stafford

The gas registered guys may have seen our adverts in the "registered gas engineer" magazine. We've been running them now for about 6 months or so. There aren't many places that we can advertise, because of course we don't want Joe public to see our trade prices, but that mag reaches our target market perfectly, without any retail spill-over.

Apparently, a group of plumber's merchants have written to the magazine, accusing us of "disruptive, negligent and devaluing pricing tactics"

They have asked the magazine to stop carrying our advertising because "it is driving their margins down to an unacceptable level" and because our pricing causes people to "question every other merchant's pricing integrity". No ****!

In fairness, my understanding is that GasSafe have told them that it is their members interests to be able to buy as cheaply as possible, and they have assured us that they will continue to take our adverts.

In the meantime, I'm still laughing...

Love it bet it's the big boys anyway they don't like it good on ya Ray , bet none of the complaints give out biscuits and some times free tools

Comments like those make me question their integrity. If an independent can secure better prices on volume purchasing, why can't they?

It almost sounds like price fixing if they can collectively complain and not compete. It's like tescos, asda and morrisons ganging up to complain about lidls pricing strategy!

Oh and just to add a moan to the thread while I'm here. Needed a 3/4" brass cap the other day. Nipped into plumb center and picked on up, when the ticket came through... £3.61! Non discountable product!

havent checked Williams but even in screwfix they are about £0.60p!

Good on yer Captin Mannerin sar......they don't like it up em!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be plumb Center complaining. About time they had competition in the boiler market.

well done ray.

I can see a bum Center buy out coming soon! :dead:

Oh and just to add a moan to the thread while I'm here. Needed a 3/4" brass cap the other day. Nipped into plumb center and picked on up, when the ticket came through... £3.61! Non discountable product!

oh the non discountable trick they did that to me for 3/4x15mm tap connectors over £5! I told them to stick it and went round to PTS and got everything cheaper.

I've used williams once good service and even with paying delivery for an early drop off they were cheaper. I'd love to use them for everything if they had one down here city plumbing are a rip off especially on the little things usually over double the price of elbows couplers etc. Next time I make an order I shall be adding a few bags of each to my list.

oh the non discountable trick they did that to me for 3/4x15mm tap connectors over £5! I told them to stick it and went round to PTS and got everything cheaper.

I've used williams once good service and even with paying delivery for an early drop off they were cheaper. I'd love to use them for everything if they had one down here city plumbing are a rip off especially on the little things usually over double the price of elbows couplers etc. Next time I make an order I shall be adding a few bags of each to my list.

Ive finished with it now so I'll be taking it back for a credit!

It's good to know that you are ruffling feathers in the big boys camp!

not here....not there, sadly!

ray has more of a lateral plan not vertical!!!lol

Damn got all exited then, We'll just have to suffer Red till he conquers the watford gap.March north ray march north.

I'm afraid we are overpriced at 79p + VAT, 5p more than poofix. But £3.61! blinkin' flip, as Masood would say.

How many williams are there ray and where.

28 at the moment. More to come. [DLMURL="http://www.williams.uk.com/branch_locator.html"]Click here[/DLMURL] for a list.

I am slowly moving to ray for everything, next day delivery if ordered before 5. screwfix usually dont have stock, so have to wait until next day, however screwfix dont sell ideal boilers and dont deliver to site for free and usually before 9am. williams is absolutely brilliant, no excuse for not using them. oh yes there is.... You have to pay for delivery for orders under £100. bummer as stops me getting the little things when needed!!! TBH this is the only reason I still use screwfix!!!

Price isnt everything. Although it helps, a lot. Its the service I like.

Ordered a tray, enclosure and shower for Monday. Only box 2 of the enclosure arrived. Quick call and arrived next day. No dramas, no issues, just sorted. Plus like I said before the Asprays lads up here are absolutely spot on.

Last time I went to bumcentre they wanted £28 for a 28mm gate valve, will never use them again.

I saw the Williams ad in the gas mag the other day and it made me :)

Williams price for 28 mm gate valve? £5.39

The greed of these national companies will be their downfall. Also they never seem to have any stock.

Hey Ray, I did some work down Burgess Hill way a while back and found a great merchant called HPS. I remember thinking these guys will do well. Great attitude, great prices. Are they your competition?

You have to pay for delivery for orders under £100. bummer as stops me getting the little things when needed!!! TBH this is the only reason I still use screwfix!!!

Not if you are local........Ray knows my views on my local branch so i wont lick ar53. I had really good support from my local Grahams but they lack the personal touch which Ray's mob excel at so no brainer for me.

Hey Ray, I did some work down Burgess Hill way a while back and found a great merchant called HPS. I remember thinking these guys will do well. Great attitude, great prices. Are they your competition?

Yep, HPS are another multi-branch independent, set up by Ron Walker, who original founded and then sold PTS. They are a bit different from us in that they do some contracts and some retail, but a good firm to be fair, with good staff and generally competent. Respect where it is due.

Please hurry and open a branch in Canterbury. Although for the love of god, can you stock talon pipe clips instead of those horrible cloud white plastic jobbies :hand:. Thanks

ive just lost out on a quote for a boiler change.....

i think i will send an email to the company/s who quoted lower than me to tell them im upset with there prices. ;)

Not if you are local........Ray knows my views on my local branch so i wont lick ar53. I had really good support from my local Grahams but they lack the personal touch which Ray's mob excel at so no brainer for me.

The best thing is that even when i went to littlehampton or ring fareham, they always say, "your on the plumbing forum aren't you!!!"
apparently someone on here said they would kiss them because they were that good. They are well up for it!!

Boooooo... i got mugged off by Dan at Ashford then. He told me you didn't and I ended up with your tesco extra value pipe clips instead.

Its not a core line, so its "managers choice" whether the branch stocks it. But it is available to him. :)

you should do an advert with the price of your fittings. Think they would explode then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Actually wetting myself with laughter! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock