Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on a new system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

F49h

Hi Guys and Galls :confused5::confused5:

I am installing a new central heating system with a external oil boiler. I intend to do all the pipe work and let the professionals fit the boiler. My plan is as follows:

22mm Copper pipe to and from the boiler in to the loft up through the chimney Approx 10' run. Copper pipe for water supply
Plastic 22 mm pipe ring main with inserts and compression fittings with copper olives. 22mm - 10mm T's (compression)
Plastic 10mm drops to the radiators buried into the wall. No fittings in the wall. Pipes will be clipped secured.
( do i need to insulate the pipes in the wall and any recommendations)
Auto air release valve at highest point of the system (in loft)

Is it better with inserts and compression fittings (access not a issue) or push fit fittings
Best plastic pipe for the job or are they all the same.
Does any one see any issues with this.

Cheers guys

Those all sweeping statements, I have been in the job for the last 45 years and I have got a clue what you are doing, need a bit more data than
that, maybe some bright young things on here will spot what you are intending doing.

Those all sweeping statements, I have been in the job for the last 45 years and I have got a clue what you are doing, need a bit more data than
that, maybe some bright young things on here will spot what you are intending doing.

I am happy you went that far. After the first line, I lost interest. Not a good thing to do, but, I just did. Sorry
As happyflyer said, someone on here will help you. We always do

And welcome to UKPF

I am happy you went that far. After the phrase: This is what I plan to do, I lost interest. Not a good thing to do, but, I just did. Sorry
As happyflyer said, someone on here will help you. We always do

And welcome to UKPF
BTW, where have you been since 10/04/14
when you posted this:
Hi guys
My Iflo power shower has lost its power. I removed the cover and noticed that the internal pump was very slow to turn. I suspect it is the brushes. problem is where do you get spares or is there an alternative.

Cheers

In my opinion and im not young either, if your using plastic then comp and inserts yes. what do mean by ring main. Dont make a ring of flow and return in 22mm cos it will just short circuit.. can you give us a drawing or something to get our teeth into.:smile:

Hi Guys and Galls :confused5::confused5:

I am installing a new central heating system with a external oil boiler. I intend to do all the pipe work and let the professionals fit the boiler. My plan is as follows:

22mm Copper pipe to and from the boiler in to the loft up through the chimney Approx 10' run.
and watch that rot out in 2 years or less!!!!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]Copper pipe for water supply[/QUOTE] seems ok

[/QUOTE]Plastic 22 mm pipe ring main with inserts and compression fittings with copper olives. 22mm - 10mm T's (compression)
Plastic 10mm drops to the radiators buried into the wall. No fittings in the wall. Pipes will be clipped secured.[/QUOTE] if I was doing my own house there wouldnt be plastic anywhere near except in my van :)
( do i need to insulate the pipes in the wall and any recommendations) why, warms the house and cracks the plaster, personally I prefer drops behind curtains, hidden but warm the room as well.

[/QUOTE]Auto air release valve at highest point of the system (in loft)[/QUOTE] as normal

[/QUOTE]Is it better with inserts and compression fittings (access not a issue) or push fit fittings
Best plastic pipe for the job or are they all the same.
Does any one see any issues with this. [/QUOTE] its plastic!

haha got the quotes out of synch :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion and im not young either, if your using plastic then comp and inserts yes. what do mean by ring main. Dont make a ring of flow and return in 22mm cos it will just short circuit.. can you give us a drawing or something to get our teeth into.:smile:[/QUOT

How do you insert a drawing.

What I mean is run a flow and return pipe from the boiler and T off each radiator from the flow and then T each radiator to the return.

How do you insert a drawing??

What I mean is run a flow and return pipe and T off the flow and return to the radiators

Each to there own opinion but im first fixing new builds at the mo and im having to do it in plastic, (not my choice) and i firmly believe that not only i could do it in copper just as quick but copper work out cheaper, but thats just my opinion plastic carp,

Is it a combi, heat only or system? I.e. is it a sealed system.

Why run pipework in a chimney.

Have you actually had somebody who knows what they are doing look at this?

It will be a combi and a sealed system. The boiler will be outside. The Chimney is the easiest way to get the pipes into the loft space. had some to look at it but doubtful they knew what they knew what they were doing. quoted 7 K!!!

I wouldn't run the pipes in the chimney, let alone anything else you wont be able to clip them for support. Plastic is much of a muchness, get a recommendation from the merchant you plan to use. consider lagging pipes in wall with hair felt lagging. Good luck

It will be a combi and a sealed system. The boiler will be outside. The Chimney is the easiest way to get the pipes into the loft space. had some to look at it but doubtful they knew what they knew what they were doing. quoted 7 K!!!

Yep they knew what they were doing Ā£7000.00 tidy boys, was the bit in red and echo up the chimney, I suppose there are ways of using the old chimney as a route up, you need to make absolutely sure that any pipe does come on contact will the side walls and therefore some heavy duty insulation, I don't know how your are going to get the pipe up there, plastic looks like
your only option, no joints in it please, you will need to turn 90 degrees at the top that means a joint in the chimney not good, find another route up inside and box it in far safer.

Tony

love it. They quote Ā£7k, a reasonable price probably and you doubt their ability, then off you go running it in chimmneys, wtf!!!!!

love it. They quote Ā£7k, a reasonable price probably and you doubt their ability, then off you go running it in chimmneys, wtf!!!!!

Love you or hate you Lame but your one the money, that chimney thing would be something an architect would come up with, they love that hide it sort of thing

Dunno had a 225mm intermediate pressure gas pipe through old furnace and chimney on a disused textile factory few years back . M&E contractor we well happy with it Atkins not so .

Cheers Guys , gonna run it up the outside. The water I will T off my cold water supply from my HW tank and run it alongside the return pipe to the boiler. My theory is if it is cold enough to freeze then it's cold enough to have the boiler on.

Hi
IF running in plastic internal bore not the same as copper and anything over 24KW pipework size should be increased any way

You would be better to find a decent engineer who doesn't rip you off & let him get on with it tbh.
First fix is just as important as the rest of the work, but shouldn't be the major wage cost of the entire job.
Copper pipe is my preference, but no doubt plastic could be okay. Hope you don't have mice! Or that the boiler doesn't someday overheat & melt the pipes. :smile:
If you rang me up & asked me to join to your work without prior consultation, I would be wary of the install, but same would apply if a plumber had done it, to be fair.
It's a free country & if you feel you can obtain enough knowledge & are fussy & are confident & competent , then genuinely good luck. Most of the plumbing work I see done with clever hands on engineers of another profession, are a mess.

Last edited:
Been a Marine engineer for 20 years +. The outside pipe will be copper. Approx 6 meters before it enters into the loft space. Rest will be plastic with inserts and compression.. Cheers for the advice guys.

Don't run it outside . Why not get a cable tray and fix your 6m length of plastic coated copper to it, lower it in then fix the tray back at top and bottom . If it's cold enough to freeze outside your house will be warm and boiler knock off and oooooh Jack Frost gets to work

Cheers Guys , gonna run it up the outside. The water I will T off my cold water supply from my HW tank and run it alongside the return pipe to the boiler. My theory is if it is cold enough to freeze then it's cold enough to have the boiler on.

And that's when you get the power cut - and oopss wet everywhere! That's why if we MUST use a monobloc Air source Heat pump we will install glycol and a plate hex.

And why would anyone install a new oil boiler anyway when they could probably get the lot done by a professional under the RHI scheme and still be quids in. - ha'peth of tar comes to mind. Do it on the cheap and regret for 20 years.

And don't forget to multi-zone the house if you can, the more zones the better all houses really should be a minimum of two zones, and B Regs require it if >150m2 - then again you have checked all the building regs requirements haven't you..

it goes on to say:

"The use of plastic pipe and fittings is acceptable when used in oil fired installations where the boiler is connected to an open vented system"
and
"Where a sealed system oil fired boiler is to be used all primary boiler pipework to and from the hot water cylinder (if fitted) and any radiator or towel rail circuits must be installed using metal pipe and fittings."

mmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on a new system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock