Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Advice on bath waste screws? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Afternoon, our bath waste pipe in our rented property has started leaking slightly when we shower. We've narrowed it down to a loose screw in the centre of the plughole. My understanding is that this screw being loose means that water is able to leak out between the bath waste and the waste water pipe it connects to as the screw is not tight.

Unfortunately the head of the screw is completely mangled as it seems previous tenants have had the same issue and attempted to tighten the screw themselves. This means that we cannot get it to shift.

So, i've been out to Wickes to get a replacement bath waste kit (the overflow, plughole, and pipe that connects the two) with the intention of taking the central screw out of the kit and using it to reattach the EXISTING bath waste to the waste water pipe. This is because I don't really want to be messing around with any more of it than is necessary.

So my question is are the screws in the centre of the plughole fitting a standard length? Our concern is that we remove the old screw (We are ordering a damaged screw extractor kit) and then the new screw doesn't fit, rendering the entire bath/shower unusable as the old mangled screw will be presumably effectively destroyed by the removal process and unable to be refitted.

Cheers

As it's rented you'd be better off contacting the Landlord / Agent as if you do any damage they may try to bill you for all the costs.

The screws are fairly standard, BUT if it's jammed you may rip the nut out the collar that it screws into leaving the only solution then to change the complete waste.

Reply to Advice on bath waste screws? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a few issues with my bath drainage and leaking. The first issue is that the near corner of the bath by the taps is sloped downwards...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm currently doing the pre-planning for my next DIY project fitting a shower tray and enclosure from scratch. I'm confident of being able to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock