Search the forum,

Discuss advice on redundant soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ianlovatt

I've had a good search and couldn't see anything that already covered this. It's probably common sense but I'm only home at week-ends so need the job to go smoothly as can't leave my wife with a stinky bathroom for the week.

I've fitted a new toilet about 2 ft closer to the stack, compared with the old one. This reduced the run externally and is all complete (cored the wall, new external pipework etc.). The old toilet is still in the bathroom next to the new one and next week-end i'm going to remove it and the pipe plus 90deg bend that are now redundant. Once I've removed the toilet it seems like the proper thing to do is to somehow remove the old soil pipe and brick up the inner and outer walls (I've saved bits from coring the hole for the new toilet).

The old pipe is plastered/mortered in place and i'm wondering if it's going to be awkward to shift and secondly I had it suggested to me to just cut the pipe back as close as I can to the wall (inside and out) and fill it with mortar/rubble. Is this common practice? Our house is pebble dashed so outside will get covered and inside will get plastered over.

If I am to remove the old pipe any tips on getting it free so it slides out? Should a mallet and square of wood from the inside be enough to get it out or should i expect to be stitch drilling around the pipe until it starts to move?

Also I'm guessing if I brick it up things will fall into the cavity or at least slump a bit so any tips for bracing from the inside to minimise this (ie i'm guessing bits of wood but any more details would be great)? We've got cavity wall (shredded foam type) insulation. The house is 1930s semi with red brick inner and outer walls.

Thanks for any advice,

Ian

leave it in and it will show rust stains etc idc. out n fill

It is plastic. So am I still right to bash out the old plastic pipe and brick up the walls?

yes you should be fine to bash it out. an alternative would be to saw along the length in two or three places and remove it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice on redundant soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock