Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss after course finished,were next in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imranhafeez

hi, there i,ve done my plumbing course but finding it very hard to get work experience can any one guide me what to do or where to start please:confused:

regards
Imran

Re: Hints & Tips

Approach a local plumbing firm, perhaps a small firm or a one man firm, explain to them/him that you have just completed your course, show your certificate and that you would like to work with them for a short while to get work experience. If you're prepared to do this for free a small firm will be glad to help you as you'll be helping them too. Who knows you might even get kept on after your work experience.

i wih you well but your in the same boat as 1,000s. I met a lad yesterday who had sent over 200 applications with a stamped envelope inside for them to reply.
2 replyed, each not offering work, he was really depressed and had paid out alot of money to train

I know the current situation is terrible. What is not helping is these quick training courses that offer training as a plumber in 4 months. There is no way anyone can be a plumber in such a short time and the plumbing market is saturated anyway without these courses adding to the problem. I went to college for 4 years to become a plumber and gained valuable experience on site while doing so, so how can anyone be a competent tradesman in only 4 months?
These courses need to tell the truth, that jobs are extremely limited and that becoming a plumber is not a Utopian way to make a living. Plus employers look for practical experience as much as being able to write about it.

I know the current situation is terrible. What is not helping is these quick training courses that offer training as a plumber in 4 months. There is no way anyone can be a plumber in such a short time and the plumbing market is saturated anyway without these courses adding to the problem. I went to college for 4 years to become a plumber and gained valuable experience on site while doing so, so how can anyone be a competent tradesman in only 4 months?
These courses need to tell the truth, that jobs are extremely limited and that becoming a plumber is not a Utopian way to make a living. Plus employers look for practical experience as much as being able to write about it.

Your right but people dont believe it, why do they not realise? The poeple charging for short courses will wnat you to think there is work out there but i suppose any business does that kind of thing. MY amazement is people in the pub and on the street still think that plumbing is the bees knees. They give ut poor advice. I was talking to a lad who has a 6129 a few months ago who said his grandad told him if he does the course he will never be out of work. He said he has not had 1 days work as a plumber and is going to do something else. His grandad probably meant well but they need to get their facts right

Fact....
The people who sell courses about how to train as a plumber will make far more money than actually becoming a plumber.
:-(

Fact....
The people who sell courses about how to train as a plumber will make far more money than actually becoming a plumber.
:-(

Think you will find that statement is more of an opinion than a fact ;)

imho

Its all true, I doubt an employer would care if the lad could write a book on plumbing, its practical experience they want. Thats why Apprenticeships are 4 years. you get a decent amount of practical experience and learn the theory. but most of the apprenticeship is practical work.

hi, there i,ve done my plumbing course but finding it very hard to get work experience can any one guide me what to do or where to start please:confused:

regards
Imran

To work for me I would have to increase my public liability, this would cost me ÂŁ300 more.
Even if you were to work for free you would be a liabilty to me as I wouldnt get as much done as I would be showing you how to do things that you havent learnt in your fast track course.
I would also be checking your work.
And after Id shown you the way of the sword youd go off on your own. So who will reap the benefits of your new skills? not me, so wtf would be in it for me.

Nothing personal Imran Iam just telling you like it is, somone maybe willing to take you on but Iam giving you a few of the reasons why alot wont.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best teacher that train someone to be a plumber is a good experienced tradesman. I know plumbers that have never been to college, but are fantastic at what they do.
Just a thought, if the thousands of young trainees who sat a plumbing course did get a job, where would that leave us? Plumbers already face an ever shrinking customer demand for their services. So existing plumbers struggling to make ends meet would probably become redundant in an over saturated market and the youngsters would quickly follow.

In my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best teacher that train someone to be a plumber is a good experienced tradesman. I know plumbers that have never been to college, but are fantastic at what they do.
Just a thought, if the thousands of young trainees who sat a plumbing course did get a job, where would that leave us? Plumbers already face an ever shrinking customer demand for their services. So existing plumbers struggling to make ends meet would probably become redundant in an over saturated market and the youngsters would quickly follow.

In my opinion.

Some of the best pumbers may never have been to college and they may or may not be good teachers if given the chance. But an employer needing to check somebodies knowledge and skills would need a certificate to prove the candidates credability. Most people would question a teacher if they were not qualified and cetificated in the particular skill they aim to teach? If a college took anyone to train and the public found out that their taxes were used to pay non qualified teachers there would be an issue

i know what you mean, but having a piece of paper saying you can do something an not actualy be able to do it.
I think all i did for my "unvented" tickets, all i did was draw a couple of diagrams and answer a few questions. i know how to do it by actually doing it during my apprenticeship.

A lot of things that I learned during my apprenticeship are not taught now but are still good to be able to do. Do the kids still get taught lead work and lead burning? Even a basic solder wiping? I had to do one recently as it was late at night and I couldn't get a Philmac. I always carry a bar of solder just in case.
I'm not condoning those who never attended a college, but in my opinion there is no substitute for practical experience which no text book or class demo can give.
Times are hard for all trades right now without adding further to the hardship. I recently attended a business start up course with a friend and out of the 50 people who attended it, 46 of them had been made redundant.
These quick start plumbing courses should tell the truth. Kids you won't make 70 grand a year.

In my opinion.

Well my apprenticeship finished over 3 years ago and about 80% of the practical work we did was lead work. from sheet lead to chimney pieces. quite a bit of welding aswell. but it was all very "set up" if you know what i mean. like we had a table and ventalators set up with ready prepeared lead rods.

I hardly do any lead work these days anyway.

That's good Plamber that you can do a bit of lead work. I once worked for a company and that was all we done. Some of it was heavy going too. Lead burning is a skill that is still in demand and it's good to have it under your belt.
I finished my college in 1982 and so much as changed. I still refuse to use plastic pipe on mains, which is daft but I stick to what I know works best for me and mainly use copper.

My journeyman that tought me was very traditional. so i got a good shot at copper pipe. which was good cos the other apprentices at my college only used plastic stuff. I'm happy to use either really. I'd have no worries using polypipe on any system really. i try to stay away from that cheap plastic fittings like speed fit though, comes apart way to easy for me. but copper pipe with soldered fitting is still the safest i think.

Plamber just curious, what plastic system is best? I've got a fair few orders for outside taps and might try it out. What puts me off is the high price of the fittings. I can get a length of copper pipe for the price of some of these.
I know that this is not the correct thread to discuss plastic pipe, but I'm curious to give plastic a go.

I'm honestly not totaly clued up on what to use outside and underground. but i always use the grey polypipe fittings. the ones with the 16 teeth inside, i prefer it cos its ok to use on copper. and the 16 teeth keep my mind more at rest.

Disagree with the middle aged men regarding Plumbing is a dying trade who's going to take over when all of you experts call it a day?? It will take 5 Plumbers of today to match your expertise so we are safe. Ha ha. If it was that bad you all wouldn't be Plumbers anymore .

Haha What a load of crap. What a depressing thread. I started to read the first few posts....
It makes me sound positive and happy!
No wonder its not been touched for 5years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to after course finished,were next in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock