Discuss Air in heating g system - Already had two plumbers fail to diagnose. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Doesn't seem to be any mods to the vent and pump attachment., the vent is a continuation of the boiler flow pipe so will be quite hot for a portion as this is where the expansion takes place.
I would ensure that the vent is clear right up to where its bent over the F&E tank, maybe just blow down it (boiler off) or stick a hose in it and overflow the F&E tank for a few minutes.

Did you look at the F&E tank again and try and see if there is another pipe opposite to the cold feed at the other side of the tank bottom? or maybe its a electrical wire.

One other thing
I think there is. Look at attached photo. It runs down towards the cold water feed to tank.

Attachments

• DB86F153-5F34-48B8-940F-5831ECDD7B96.png
    DB86F153-5F34-48B8-940F-5831ECDD7B96.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
So, every thing normal enough re F&E tank, mains feed to ballcock and cold feed teed into the up and over vent.

Re the no heating rad, I know you have "proved" no air present but might consider (with boiler off) shutting off L/shield & TRV, remove the blank vent plug on the rad, get a bucket and flush say 3 or 4 litres of water through the rad with TRV only open then shut it and do likewise with L/shield only open, you surely shouldn't have any air in that rad pipework after doing this.

If still problems with gurgling etc, tie up the F&E tank ballcock for a day or two, if the air is just air trapped in the system since refill then the tank level will slowly drop with the continued release of air, if air somehow is being drawn into the system then the F&E tank level should slowly rise.
The bit of bubbling back into the F&E tank mightn't be that significant in view of the close proximity of the pump/vent as its only happening on boiler/pump startup.

Evening all.
I just wanted to provide a quick update. I followed your guidance on the basis that we may have an airlock in the system. I went a bit further and bought a half inch nipple and fitted a hose attachment on the other side. I did what you guys said regarding heating, closed all the radiators, and then attached the hose to the flow end of the cold radiator and opened it up.There was a load of air in the system. I did the same on the return and again a load of air. I now have a nice hot radiator. Whether it's responsible for the other problems we'll have to wait and see.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 15
Hope the system is back to normal, just a bit curious about your method of purging the system, did you just shut both rad valves, remove one end of rad tails at rad, attach hose to the rad pipe tail , reopen valve and purge back through the flow or whichever you opened?. did you just put a bung in the rad opened end while doing this or did you attach to the rad itself and then purge back through the rad and the opposite tail?
Also some time when you get a chance can you see if this bubbling in the F&E tank has now stopped on pump startup or stop.

Reply to Air in heating g system - Already had two plumbers fail to diagnose. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock