Search the forum,

Discuss Air vents necessary for installing Zanussi hob over electric oven cabinet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stuart_williams

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. We are rebuilding our kitchen and plan to move the existing built in Zanussi gas hob (ZGL62I) from a worktop above a fridge to a worktop above a "built under" single electric oven. I'm a competent DIYer but will get a GAS SAFE fitter to do the pipework and connection.

According to the hob manual I downloaded, there needs to be 50 cm2 of ventilation in the front of the cabinet between the top of the oven and the bottom of the hob and a further 360 cm2 of ventilation in the front of the cabinet between the base of the oven and the floor. It says we should use a cabinet with these vents built in but these don't seem to exist and we have already bought our units from B&Q. I could use a plinth vent below the unit but most of these don't have 360 cm2 of effective area. It still leaves the problem with what to do above the oven (unless I leave an unsightly 1 cm gap that I've never seen in other kitchens).

There are dozens of manuals for slightly different variations of this hob and none of the previous ones mention this. In fact they only discuss installing the hob over a cupboard or drawers - in which case no ventilation is needed - just 20 mm clearance between hob and cabinet top to prevent scorching. (This is also a nuisance as it looks like I will need to pack out the top of the cabinet to create this clearance but I guess this is essential).

Has anyone seen this ventilation requirement before? Is it overkill? Is there a simple / neat solution?

Thanks for your help.

Stuart

whats the kitchen volume lxbxh. is there a window & door that opens to outside.

if manufacturers ask for these sizes then you need to have them . Are you sure it says 360cm2 as it seems alot. also check room volume. you also need an openable window. if volume greater than 10m3 and openable window then no additional ventilation is required.

Last edited:
Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. We are rebuilding our kitchen and plan to move the existing built in Zanussi gas hob (ZGL62I) from a worktop above a fridge to a worktop above a "built under" single electric oven. I'm a competent DIYer but will get a GAS SAFE fitter to do the pipework and connection.

According to the hob manual I downloaded, there needs to be 50 cm2 of ventilation in the front of the cabinet between the top of the oven and the bottom of the hob and a further 360 cm2 of ventilation in the front of the cabinet between the base of the oven and the floor. It says we should use a cabinet with these vents built in but these don't seem to exist and we have already bought our units from B&Q. I could use a plinth vent below the unit but most of these don't have 360 cm2 of effective area. It still leaves the problem with what to do above the oven (unless I leave an unsightly 1 cm gap that I've never seen in other kitchens).

There are dozens of manuals for slightly different variations of this hob and none of the previous ones mention this. In fact they only discuss installing the hob over a cupboard or drawers - in which case no ventilation is needed - just 20 mm clearance between hob and cabinet top to prevent scorching. (This is also a nuisance as it looks like I will need to pack out the top of the cabinet to create this clearance but I guess this is essential).

Has anyone seen this ventilation requirement before? Is it overkill? Is there a simple / neat solution?

Thanks for your help.

Stuart

welcome to the world of manufacturer instructions if they want it no gas engineer should install other wise and if you do not ventilate your cabinets the way they ask and a fire then starts your home insurance wont pay out either,if they want a 1 cm gap then thats what you must have and if a plinth vent supplies 360 cm2 then that will be fine not forgetting that the oven will need a free flow of air around it to communicate with said plinth vent

I've double checked. It is 360 cm2. I think the airflow is to keep the underside of the hob cool rather than to keep the air in the room fresh as the vent it specifies is just between the inside of the cabinet and the rest of the kitchen - not going outside.

If it makes a difference, our oven seems to have built in cooling around its housing- as it pumps cool air from around the edge of the door even when the inside is roasting hot. It mentions this in the oven manual so perhaps this reduces the need for other ventilation.

most kitchen capboard manufactures make a specific oven housing unit which will have the ventilation designed into it, this is normall a plinth void at the bottom and an air gap or grill built into oven at the top. The ventilation is to vent the external surfaces of the oven, which will ofcourse also help keep the hobb cool.

something like this

Miami Under Oven Housing Unit - Miami - Take Away Kitchen Cabinets -Kitchens - Wickes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air vents necessary for installing Zanussi hob over electric oven cabinet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
We love our flat but need more (reconfigure the) space with a growing family. Moving in London is not an option as 3 bed houses with a large kitchen are ÂŁ100-200k more in our area. The kitchen is too small and a space that only cooking is possible in. The only other communal space is a large...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, i need a bit of advice, i live in Tasmania, we bought a brand new townhouse that has a tiny internal laundry in a closet in the passage opposite the bathroom. It has a very small wash basin in one corner, the hot water cylinder is on the other end, but the space between these is...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in kitchen (Retrospective view of alternate option when it was found that promise of removing pipes from airing cupboard could not be fulfilled). Battery...
Replies
Views
N
Hi, I seem to be getting a lot of air in the system if I take the pump off its bare minimum setting, just left of the venting setting. I have a open vented S-plan, originally a british gas installation, fitted to a bungalow. The pump and valves are in the airing cupboard together with the...
Replies
Views
Nobbyone
N
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock