Search the forum,

Discuss Am I being underpaid? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gents.

I'm currently studying my level 3 NVQ and I'm working for a one man band. In work I do a lot of the work and on a average day it's 9 hours but this does go on sometimes in to silly hours. Ive just passed my OFTEC which the boss paid for so I don't want to leave if I can help it and I do enjoy working with the guy, but the pay is grinding me down at the minute.

My pay at the moment is 40 a day and he does cut it when we finish early to 25.

He's happy with my work and even said that I do a better job than him.

Any advice? I feel stuck because I don't want to jeopardise my NVQ by causing a argument over pay.

Thanks for reading.

I can't see you ever got an answer, sorry if I missed it.
It depends on you age minimum pay rates are here and note apprentice rate of £2.73 ph only applies if you are under 19 years of age.
https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Your employer must pay you at least these rates:
up to & including 20 years £5.13 ph
21+ £6.50 ph
no matter what job you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how companies get away with having free interns working for them then

So there you have it..if you are on the minimum wage or less...you are on a good thing..if you are on more you need to work the hours....
:boat:

Stop moaning!

When I was an apprentice in '95 I was on a solid £15 a day!

Don't listen to your mates saying they earn X amount, blokes always lie about how much they earn.

Well said! I was on £45 a week in 1998. Did I complain? Yes all the time but I knew I was being trained and that was the main thing. In my 4th year I had made it to £125 a week!

I also had mates that said how much they were earning in factories and things like that and after I completed my apprenticeship I shot above them.

I had someone moan at me years ago saying their son couldn't get an apprenticeship, she then said that someone offered him one but she refused to allow him to go and work for the money and said that he should be on £6 an hour! I laughed and said what he got offered was good and to get £6 an hour he would have to prove that he could earn that for his boss. She wasn't happy. Lol.

I can't see you ever got an answer, sorry if I missed it.
It depends on you age minimum pay rates are here and note apprentice rate of £2.73 ph only applies if you are under 19 years of age.
https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Your employer must pay you at least these rates:
up to & including 20 years £5.13 ph
21+ £6.50 ph
no matter what job you do.

that 2.73ph applies to apprentices of all ages in their 1st year of training

£2.95 per hour for me as an apprentice, 118 quid a week, 10 long years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I being underpaid? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock