Search the forum,

Discuss An I being ripped off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdoch

Esteemed
Res.Electrician
Ok, I'm a spark visiting for some help so please go gentle with me.

We have been refurbishing a house completely (our own house) and prior to starting we had agreed a price to replace the boiler, all of the radiators and fit 2 x bathrooms and 1 x cloakroom.

During the work, very early on, it was suggested that rather than chopping around the existing pipework it would make sense to replace all the pipework. This would have been relatively easy as the floors were up, the ceilings were down!

So I've now been asked for £2000.00 contribution towards the new pipes.

I appreciate that this is a difficult question.

Thanks for reading and any answers.

Last edited:
I don't understand. The customer wants you to pay £2000 towards the work done in their house?

You can a feck load of copper for 2k !! Does that include labour?

how much pipe is going in for £2000?

Difficult to say, combined floor area over 2 floors is about 130 sq meters, about 13 radiators in total. Pressurised system, no tank, hot tank adjacent to boiler.

sounds a tad high to me if there is not much difference in the labour but its difficult to say either way really without knowing linear meters of pipe, pipe sizes and without actually seeing it
sorry that doesnt really help much

as a sparkie you must know of the estimate/quotation process, did you carry this out prior to the work commencing? if not you need to get some invoices and the parts and labour broken down to show where the monies going. However, if you are only now querying the cost, I can see you and your plumber falling out shortly.

There is a shed load more labour involved piping everything from new to just altering a few pipes for radiators.
How big is the house ? Copper still isn't cheap but 2 K would buy you a big chunk of pipe.

£180 bundle of 28 .. Say 2 bundles.
£140 bundle of 22 .. Say 2 bundles.
£ 70 bundle of 15 .. Say 3 bundles.
total £850. Waaaaay too much tube but I'm being generous, £150 on fittings.

unless that 2 grand includes extra labour I'd say he's mugging you off.

Edit.. Just read it includes labour. So it's not far off the mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
as a sparkie you must know of the estimate/quotation process, did you carry this out prior to the work commencing? if not you need to get some invoices and the parts and labour broken down to show where the monies going. However, if you are only now querying the cost, I can see you and your plumber falling out shortly.
Its been suggested that £3300 would be the real price. As for falling out.... well so be it.

It does include the labour, which could be a fair lot of work.
Out of interest, who decided to go for a fresh install?

Write it up in any language, but he is ripping you off big time. Because he believes the job is already secured, he has now decided to go for the Jogular.
Ray S has got some realistic figures there. I am meant to be piping up a property. Two flats being returned to original state, so one house.
Ground floor
Lower ground floor
Lower first floor
First floor &
Second floor.
I have also suggested all pipework be removed and new ones to go in.
28mm two & half bundle of 3n lengths
22mm two and a half bundle of 3m lengths
15mm 3 & a half bundle of 3m lengths
(note that I have a passion for half bundles).
All that is no way near £2,000.

Last edited:
£180 bundle of 28 .. Say 2 bundles.
£140 bundle of 22 .. Say 2 bundles.
£ 70 bundle of 15 .. Say 3 bundles.
total £850. Waaaaay too much tube but I'm being generous, £150 on fittings.

unless that 2 grand includes extra labour I'd say he's mugging you off.

Edit.. Just read it includes labour. So it's not far off the mark.

I dont sell it at those rates.

Again its another post with one side to a story. Without actually seeing the job, knowing what was included and what additional works have been done then nobody is in a position to say wether or not the op is being ripped off.

Get your plumber to register on herevand let him give the other side of the story.

Just out of curiosity...
What constitutes a 'bundle'?

We have 18m coils of pipe ( annealed ) or 6m lengths ( hard drawn )

Oz- Plumbe

Just out of curiosity...
What constitutes a 'bundle'?

We have 18m coils of pipe ( annealed ) or 6m lengths ( hard drawn )

Oz- Plumbe

bit old skool arnt you oz,when I worked out there all the tube outs were in crimp fit plastic,copper only for gas

2k for a repipe of a 130m2 house 13 rads 2 bathrooms and a cloakroom (kitchen? utility?)
Nothing expensive about that.
I'd have taken a lot more.

A spot on reply - and as v i says you are being ripped off - we are good on here and
like to help anybody centralheatking
Write it up in any language, but he is ripping you off big time. Because he believes the job is already secured, he has now decided to go for the Jogular.
Ray S has got some realistic figures there. I am meant to be piping up a property. Two flats being returned to original state, so one house.
Ground floor
Lower ground floor
Lower first floor
First floor &
Second floor.
I have also suggested all pipework be removed and new ones to go in.
28mm two & half bundle of 3n lengths
22mm two and a half bundle of 3m lengths
15mm 3 & a half bundle of 3m lengths
(note that I have a passion for half bundles).
All that is no way near £2,000.

I think more detail information is needed to say whether or not the price is too high. Piping house with the floors up and ceiling down is not too hard a job though.

i think that if he/she has repiped the entire heating, gas and hot and cold then it dont sound like a rip off.

without knowing the job specifics nobody on this forum can give you an accurate answer and any comments should be taken as a guess :)

if gas man bought 6m bundles, his windscreen would never be in place :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to An I being ripped off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock