Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Are these some of the worst corroded pipes you've seen? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Firstly this is not in my home but rather the boiler room at a lodge I was staying at in a UK holiday camp. I naturally reported these to their guest services team but I was wondering if you've come across anything like this before? They weren't visibly leaking and I couldn't find a reason for the excessive corrosion.

Attachments

• IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    903.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2937.jpg
    IMG_2937.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 34
Firstly this is not in my home but rather the boiler room at a lodge I was staying at in a UK holiday camp. I naturally reported these to their guest services team but I was wondering if you've come across anything like this before? They weren't visibly leaking and I couldn't find a reason for the excessive corrosion.
That's what poor workmanship in a hard-water area ends up looking like.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that a holiday camp has plumbing that's been done on the cheap!

[Bonus points if you get the Casablanca reference!]

That's what poor workmanship in a hard-water area ends up looking like.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that a holiday camp has plumbing that's been done on the cheap!

[Bonus points if you get the Casablanca reference!]
:) I am curious... what specifically is the bad workmanship? I have to say I was surprised to see push fit used where unnecessary.

The big technical issue is that the pipework is floating in free space without being properly clipped. That is probably why the two connections on the left of the boiler are leaking, the weight they are supporting is pulling on them. can't be sure from the pictures but it looks as though there are touches at some of the crossovers. Also, there is no insulation and there are far too many joints and patches. In my opinion, the installation looks like something a bad DIYer would have done.

Here's a picture from the PF archive showing what a properly done boiler installation looks like [courtesy of @king of pipes]

See the difference?

Or a case of someone putting 'leak sealer' in the system.
Th stuff searches for oxygen and then tries to close the gap.
Unfortunately, it 'apparently' seals the gap and keeps searching - ending up with what you have.

Reply to Are these some of the worst corroded pipes you've seen? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have been on the phone to the Gas Safe Register, who have pointed me a bit in the right direction looking for certain information. I am in a...
Replies
Views
I'm coming on this forum and moderating all posts for a good few weeks, and running searches on old posts. I'm noticing things, and some are being...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Now sorted... don’t bother reading this stupid long post. Hi, I’ve got a bit of a head scratcher here and wondered what you guys would make of...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock