Discuss Bad smell from around internal soil pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I moved house about 9 months ago. Around 3 months after moving in I started to notice an intermittent sewage smell in the bathroom upstairs. For the last few months I have been checking all traps and trying to pinpoint the smell. There is no issue with the traps, I believe the smell is coming out from around the toilet soil pipe connection. This is where there is a gap in between the soil pipe and tiles. You can feel a bit of a draught around the soil pipe and the smell comes with it. Its very intermittent. I have just taken the toilet off but there is hardly any room between the soil pipe and the tiles to take a proper look behind. There are no leaks anywhere in the bathroom or downstairs. Last week I was working in the hallway which is inline to the toilet and I had to lift the floorboards up, as soon as I did that I could smell sewage. Any idea what it could be? Behind the toilet in the box could there be a faulty AAV? There’s only two things I can think of that could be causing the issue - faulty AAV (if there is one) or lose connection somewhere?

Because there is a high box behind the toilet I am taking a guess there might be an AAV in there:

P10119-222903.jpg

The soil stack is a strange setup. It goes from upstairs then to the downstairs toilet then there is a horizontal run before it drops below floor level with a rodding point. I believe these houses might have originally had a downstairs bathroom only (1950s / 1960s house)

P10120-091938.jpg

This is the downstairs rodding point – there are no smells around here. If I take the rodding point cap off there is the same smell but nothing is backing up.

P10120-091757.jpg

The stack terminates outside here with an AAV

P10120-090906.jpg

I can’t get to the manhole cover – its been decked over(!) there is one 4m before that one though and I have checked and its not backing up / overflowing.

Any ideas? I have just fitted a new flexible pan connector in the off chance its that but it isn't. I think my next job now is to look into the box behind the toilet.

"I can’t get to the manhole cover – its been decked over."
So cut a neat hatch in the deck before its needed so it doesn't get butchered when access is needed in a hurry ( i predict this is most likely to happen around 3am on a dark, cold, rainy Sunday morning. ) by you or an emergency plumber. 👍

Reply to Bad smell from around internal soil pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house...
Replies
Views
My house is on a block foundation. It needs to be dug around outside and resealed. Estimate was over $30k so that is not an option. When the...
Replies
Views
Hi , i'm new to this forum & would like some advice , i have an upstairs bathroom & was wondering if i could put a cloackroom loo downstairs , my...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock