Discuss Bad vibrations Telford Tempest unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stuart1990

I have recently had a new Telford Tempest Unvented cylinder installed by my plumber and am now suffering noisy vibrations/resonation that sound like a whirling helicopter as soon as the hot water is switched on. This only stops when the central heating is switched on. The buzzing noise seems to be coming from the heat exchanger coil inside the cylinder. I have tried changing the pump speed but the noise seems to be independent of that.

My plumber has fitted an automatic bleed as he thought it could be due to trapped air in the system but this has had no effect.

I am not a plumber but would appreciate any thoughts ideas on how to resolve this.

I'm assuming when you say the hot water's turned on you're running the boiler to heat the cylinder.

How has he connected the primary coil? If it's through a 3 port valve get him to check that.

Just out of interest does he have an unvented ticket?

could it bee a 15 mm elbow dropped in the coil by chance ....some one told me once ,customer was trying to get him to do more then they agreed originally did not pay him in time the correct amount of money and he told me how he dropped a elbow by accident in a 22mm elbow;););):D:D:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ohh well , you know what some customers R like some times ! hire you to do the job then I will pay you the rest next mount

ha ha ha ha , hope is not this the cause of the noise in this case

If the expansion vessel piped up with flexi hose change to hard pipe / or the expansion vessel is to small

exp vessel for hot water ?

Yes
Unvented cold goes in hot comes out lol (after it's heated of course)
The expansion vessel for the mains in Telford cylinders (and a lot these days)
Is a combination valve the expansion vessel connects to this vie a flexi hose iv seen them vibrate if not hard piped before
But also if only happens when the hot water is heated it could be a motorised valve opening slowly and the force of the water running around coil making it vibrate
But also it could be that there is a throttle valve (gate valve) on coil closed to much and cousing turbulence and vibrating through coil
Hope this helps
G

In answer to your comments. Yes the boiler is on and then as soon as the hot water is switched on then this resonance commences. It seems to come and go and occurs every 45 secs and lasts say for 30 secs. The plumber has the qualifications for this type of installation and has fitted others before without any problems like this.
The noise is definately coming from inside the cylinder and thats causing the vibrations in the pipework as I can feel it when I hold the inlet and outlet flows from the cylinder. As stated I am not a plumber but it seems that the problem is created because the pressure or volume of flow exerted by the water in the primary circuit is causing the resonance because as soon as I switch on the central heating the noise vanishes. I am guessing this is because the water is now circulating round the house and the pressure exerted on the coil is reduced???
He has considered fitting a gate valve as a bypass to reduce the flow slightly. Do you feel this maybe a solution?

If the noise is definately coming from the cylinder, then I would contact telford and ask them to come and inspect the cylinder. If as you say your plumber is qualified to work on this and he knows what he is doing, then I am sure the longer this goes on the more money he is loosing on what should have been a relatively easy cylinder change, and he wont be happy, Also if there is a problem with the cylinder I am sure Telford would want to know sooner rather than later as it may well be they have a batch of rougue cylinders on their hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bad vibrations Telford Tempest unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Anyone know of preplumbed horizontal unvented cylinder apart from the Telford Tempest. My plumber has said they save a lot of time but he's...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock