Discuss Basic fitting question - attaching/fixing toilet and basin in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwardk

Hi - I have a small downstairs cloakroom and would like to know what is the best way to attach the toilet and the basin.

The basin will be fixed to a blockwork wall and it came with some screws and a fitting plate (Roca basin). However, my brother says that some threaded rod and a chemical cement (Chemset ?) will make a better join and be a better job.

What would you do ?

Also have a toilet to fit.
Have the waste pipe and cold water input in place. Just need to fix it to the floor and wall.
The wall is studwork and I have a noggin in the right place behind all the plasterboard etc. I was going to use stainless steel screws through the cistern back (there are holes in the ceramic for that I guess).

For fixing it to the tiled floor (then screed - about 80mm) I was going to drill a 6mm hole and use the mm floor bolts that come with the toilet but again my brother said that most people just put down a bed of silicon and squidge it down.

What is the better way or a combination of both ?

Thanks,
Ed

For the toilet I would say your best bolting it down silicone is abit of a botch- just make sure you have screws that wont rust. For the basin the fixings you have are fine unless your going to be swinging off it.

Thanks - I got a Fischer basin fitting kit from a mate who had it spare. Two M10 bolts and a 14mm plug for the wall. Looks like a good way of fixing the basin on to the wall.

As for the toilet - it has 2 x 5mm bolts. I was planning on drilling through the tiles (tile drill ?) with a 6mm hole and using a 6mm plug. Maybe just a bead of silicon around the toilet base to stop it rocking/grating ?

Thanks
Ed

The bolts will give it a good fixing no silicone needed - You might put some on to stop water getting under and creating a smell.

Toilet done - thanks for the advice - as you said, the bolts hold it nicely. Put some silicon around the base and man oh man it is messy stuff. Got it tidied up in the end but yeah, sticky stuff...

Going to fit the basin to the wall this morning then look for pipework to connect it all together.

I have the 110mm foul pipe from the back of the toilet out through the wall into the drains.
The basin waste pipe ... can I run this into the side or top of this toilet waste pipe.
They would be at 90 degrees to each other.

What size waste pipe is normally used for basins ?

Thanks for any advice.
Ed

cloak_01.jpg

cloak_02.jpg

cloak_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The basin waste will be 1 1/4" pipe. You might want to do the boss (connector to the 110) first as fiddling round with that with a basin in the way might be tricky. Just make sure you do the boss in a way that the pipe will have a slight fall on it. Also get your water supply underneath the basin ready. A tip I read on here was to sort your tap connectors out before you hang the basin then you will have pipes coming down the basin and pipes running along the floor all you will have to to is two elbows and presto. The alternative is a lot of smacking your head off the basin.

Yeah silicone is messy and it gives me a headache.

Really smart job I'm impressed.

where is that feed pipe under the soil going? if it is fro the toilet i would have taken it up behind the soil other than that neat job

steve

There are two copper 15mm pipes there - for the basin.

Yes, the toilet cold input is behind the pan :)

Just putting in the rest of the copper h/c to the basin and then will fit the basin screws and the basin.

For the basin to the boss : should I come out of the bottom of the basin, into a trap then a 90 degree elbow - then a vertical piece of pipe before another 90 into the slightly sloped pipe to the boss ?

Going to box it in after I hope.

Thanks
Ed

If you are meaning basically do the same with the waste as with your hot and cold then yes that would be best imo

elbow as the bottom of the basin pedestal.

Right - got a saddle/strap boss for a 110mm foul waste pipe. It slips over the 110mm pipe and has a boss for a 32mm basin waste to connect to it.

I'm ok with the basin waste connection - this looks like you just add solvent glue to the insert into the saddle, solvent glue into the insert for the basin waste and push the lot together.

What I need advice on is how to connect the saddle boss to the 110mm pipe.

It looks like it is a 56mm or 57mm hole that I need to drill into the 110mm and then slip the saddle boss over the top.
There isn't any o-ring so am I right in thinking that I just make sure the hole I drill is a good fit and put lots of solvent glue all over the hole area ? Do I also glue the rest of the saddle strap on ?

Thanks for any help - getting there !
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basic fitting question - attaching/fixing toilet and basin in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock