Discuss Be careful when you try to clear those drains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its sad about the young boy but regarding the use of acid Tamz is right, COSHH regulations apply to everybody not just people who get paid for doing jobs (professionals). Dangerous products are not usually allowed to be sold without how to use instructions, that everybody is supposed to follow.

It is really not hard to read and understand the data sheet. You are using sulphuric acid. Basic schoolboy eduction should make you aware of the word ACID and the bad things it can do.
It is a no brainer even if you never went to school!
Read clause 8 to see what PPE you should have had on and the rest of it to how it should be treated.
[DLMURL="http://www.greenham.com/datasheets/662371.pdf+"]http://www.greenham.com/datasheets/662371.pdf+

[/DLMURL]

For anyone wondering that link will work if you remove the plus sign on the end.

Looking through that site I think I might get me one of them full face shields. That's got be worth wearing when risking acid exploding in your face.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am far from perfect and it wasn't a preach so take your head out my rse. It was not directed at you personally.
This is a public forum where any numpty can read what is written. If they are going to do it give them the facts.
You had a near miss because you never followed the instructions. Who does? We have all used this stuff a hundred times and more with no adverse reactions so we get complacent BUT it canand does happen.

Fair enough

Ive never heard of this stuff 'eaten' away on the pipes, they must of just left the 'one shot' in the pipework....

I highly doubt a plumber did this...
....or hope not!...

dont think it actually eaten the pipe as such. it will be the heat generated by the chemical reaction that has melted the pipe i believe sulphuric acid if i'm correct reacts with organic matter hence why its used as a drain cleaner as it is very very caustic a lot more sodium hydroxide(caustic soda)
i have 2 bottles of this stuff in the van that i have never used. i think after reading i will dispose of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Be careful when you try to clear those drains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

10 months ago had a new Glow-Worm gas boiler installed in our bungalow. It failed nearly a month ago when a gasket internally in the HW feed cct...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I've just joined, was going to post in the new members forum, but the first site generated email sent me here... I am here, as have a...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock