Search the forum,

Discuss Be careful when you try to clear those drains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, poor kid. :frown2:

Reminds my of that scene in Alien where the acid blood is melting through the floors of the Nostromo.

Bloody hell! 91% sulphuric acid. Is that even legal to sell over the counter? The poor kid was lucky...

Always read the instructions.
Just about all everyday products and objects have the ability to main or even kill in the wrong (or right) hands.

Ive used this before in the past and it even says on the bottle to run the waste for a good 10mins.

This has totally put me off using all or any chemicals!! Poor lad!! :(

state of that pillow. poor kid.but sad to say people will still continue to use this incorrectly and this will not be the last of incidents of this nature

And they flush this stuff down drains. Just think what it's doing to the environment.

A lot of its down to lazy plumbers who can't be bothered to run they're wastes downhill.

True but also down to halfwit diy ers who can't read a product label.
Ban one shot from public sale but you can still buy a boiler or bayonet connection. Which is potentially most dangerous and which has most chance of being banned from general sale?
Think about it! Don't take the car you'll kill yourself!!!!
Fkd up world we live in:frown:

I tell you what- read someone said it before but this stuff REALLY SHOULD ONLY BE SOLD TO PROFESSIONALS!

I had a close call years back. Urinals blocked in the waste, everything else clear so poured some acid down. It literally blew up when it reacted with this stuff and if I hadnt of been looking away I reckon I'd be blinded. Got acid on my right side of face, luckily I had the basins right by so submerged my face for 5 mins and was fine. I will use it but with absolute caution and RESPECT!

It is really not hard to read and understand the data sheet. You are using sulphuric acid. Basic schoolboy eduction should make you aware of the word ACID and the bad things it can do.
It is a no brainer even if you never went to school!
Read clause 8 to see what PPE you should have had on and the rest of it to how it should be treated.
[DLMURL="http://www.greenham.com/datasheets/662371.pdf+"]http://www.greenham.com/datasheets/662371.pdf+

[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Look mate..really no need to preach. It was a long time ago and lay off the basic schoolboy rubbish too.

It was obviously stupid, and I've learnt from that. Not everyone is as perfect as you and never made a mistake in their entire plumbing career

Ive never heard of this stuff 'eaten' away on the pipes, they must of just left the 'one shot' in the pipework....

I highly doubt a plumber did this...
....or hope not!...

I tell you what- read someone said it before but this stuff REALLY SHOULD ONLY BE SOLD TO PROFESSIONALS!

I had a close call years back. Urinals blocked in the waste, everything else clear so poured some acid down. It literally blew up when it reacted with this stuff and if I hadnt of been looking away I reckon I'd be blinded. Got acid on my right side of face, luckily I had the basins right by so submerged my face for 5 mins and was fine. I will use it but with absolute caution and RESPECT!

Urinal = pipes blocked with calcium better to just re new pipe

Look mate..really no need to preach. It was a long time ago and lay off the basic schoolboy rubbish too.

It was obviously stupid, and I've learnt from that. Not everyone is as perfect as you and never made a mistake in their entire plumbing career
i'm sure tamz wasn't taking a swipe at you personally. i read it as speaking in general about the whole situation.

I am far from perfect and it wasn't a preach so take your head out my rse. It was not directed at you personally.
This is a public forum where any numpty can read what is written. If they are going to do it give them the facts.
You had a near miss because you never followed the instructions. Who does? We have all used this stuff a hundred times and more with no adverse reactions so we get complacent BUT it canand does happen.

Its sad about the young boy but regarding the use of acid Tamz is right, COSHH regulations apply to everybody not just people who get paid for doing jobs (professionals). Dangerous products are not usually allowed to be sold without how to use instructions, that everybody is supposed to follow.

It is really not hard to read and understand the data sheet. You are using sulphuric acid. Basic schoolboy eduction should make you aware of the word ACID and the bad things it can do.
It is a no brainer even if you never went to school!
Read clause 8 to see what PPE you should have had on and the rest of it to how it should be treated.
[DLMURL="http://www.greenham.com/datasheets/662371.pdf+"]http://www.greenham.com/datasheets/662371.pdf+

[/DLMURL]

For anyone wondering that link will work if you remove the plus sign on the end.

Looking through that site I think I might get me one of them full face shields. That's got be worth wearing when risking acid exploding in your face.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am far from perfect and it wasn't a preach so take your head out my rse. It was not directed at you personally.
This is a public forum where any numpty can read what is written. If they are going to do it give them the facts.
You had a near miss because you never followed the instructions. Who does? We have all used this stuff a hundred times and more with no adverse reactions so we get complacent BUT it canand does happen.

Fair enough

Ive never heard of this stuff 'eaten' away on the pipes, they must of just left the 'one shot' in the pipework....

I highly doubt a plumber did this...
....or hope not!...

dont think it actually eaten the pipe as such. it will be the heat generated by the chemical reaction that has melted the pipe i believe sulphuric acid if i'm correct reacts with organic matter hence why its used as a drain cleaner as it is very very caustic a lot more sodium hydroxide(caustic soda)
i have 2 bottles of this stuff in the van that i have never used. i think after reading i will dispose of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Be careful when you try to clear those drains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock