Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Be Honest - Dead Legs....... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smillsey

Hey all, was having a discussion the other day about dead legs on systems.

I am so anal it becomes ridiculous with reference to dead legs on systems. When converting from a conventional to a combi for example where you have pipework in the airing cupboard etc.....

I always trace the pipe run to the tee and cap as close to its tee off to prevent dead legs,

whereas the chap i was talking to said stop wasting your time just cap off and move on.

Dead legs cause alsorts of probs in my opinion,

Also, I like to repipe the hot water run on combis when converting if possible (Ie carpets) and have really short runs to the taps, instead of going from a boiler in a kitchen, upto where the old cylinder was at the DHW outlet pipe, then back to the kitchen which is easy for the installer, but my is that a lot of cold water before the hot comes through!

Anyone else of my opinion? Maybe this is why im not a millionaire.

and your problem is.......???? you are a professional, they are not! If someone done it there house they'd have a fit! or maybe they dont know how to do it properly like you do! I get fed up with the phrase, 'that'll do', or 'dont matter does it?' well if they had to get their phone repaired and the shop assistant said 'it's not perfect but,..it'll do' i'm pretty sure they'd ask for it to be done properly. We get paid a good wage/rate etc because we are 'highly qualified professionals' and therefore the client should expect a professional job. I wouldn't like to pay £20,000 for a car that is only worth £15,000. Carry on smillsey!!

Give the client the options. Gold standard work will take longer than the bodgers you're quoting against. Obviously this is easier if you already have some sort of relationship with the customer.

haha, oh i will carry on but it is enraging.

And its nothing to do with training, its all to do with personal standards....

Im not a 3 year apprentice and most of my standard i pick up from "old boys" and the british standards, just a plain old engineer that fell into a trade i love over the years.

If these idiots read the british standards they would have a shock, so would their customers

imho

haha, oh i will carry on but it is enraging.

And its nothing to do with training, its all to do with personal standards....

Im not a 3 year apprentice and most of my standard i pick up from "old boys" and the british standards, just a plain old engineer that fell into a trade i love over the years.

If these idiots read the british standards they would have a shock, so would their customers

imho

spot on!! most aren't interested because they feel as long as there getting away with it, it must be okay!! yeeee-haaah!!
as you said, personal standards, habits, either you know the right way and ignore it or...you know sweet fa and your blagging it...

If its old and defunct I take as far back as practical, without having to rip things to pieces, and cap.

On the hot water I have a think about where the water is wanted and pipe as shorter route as possible. Don't want customer running tap for 5 mins before they get any hot water, it looks bad.

A little bit of thought and effort can really finish off a good job.

Exactly, this job i got next week,

Im just going to run a new DHW run from the combi, the bathroom is above the kitchen and it was a direct cylinder before.

Im not even having to go all the way to taps as the kitchen/bathroom chap ( a good friend) wants to do that bit....

So all is well!

I'll make a bit back on the scrap and they will have a kick as new pipe run done by yours truly! haha!

Hmmmmm, now to see if i can make it out of their with their direct uninsulated pure and tasty copper cylinder.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Be Honest - Dead Legs....... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock