Search the forum,

Discuss Been made redundant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chrisgy

Well I got made redundant today, the whole company has folded. If anyone knows of a job going in Grimsby I'd be grateful. Got CCN1, CEN1, unvented, NVQ 2 & 3, a few other certs. I worked for east coast gas services in grimsby.

be brave m8, go it alone, word of mouth put out some feelers, advertise, take anything and have a go, better than sitting on the dole, and you keep what you earn (most of it till the tax man cometh), good luck

Yeah I'd do that but not enough money to buy a van, gas safe registration and all the rest of it

Might have to see business link about any grants available

could alwaays work out of yhour car, plumbing only to start? I did and worked for me

Chin up mate, I dont want to sound patronising ,but things always work out for the best in the end.

Yeah that might be something I could try for a while, might get on vistaprint tomorrow and get some bathroom leaflets printed thanks

Got laid off in september. Don't let it get you down. I got my own gas safe and set up my self subcontacting, its the best thing i've ever done. Try some of the agencies to get a foot in the door of some firms and then you could even go direct like my mate did or get rid of the agency and sub direct. Not sure if i can give agency details out on here but PM me and i'll give you the details.

But like BCG said things always work out best in the end.

Thanks Tom, if I do go down that route I'll message for more info

Really sorry to hear that chris,not good news,hope something comes along soon,has it gone completely belly up ?

Yeah they had warmfront work, Stamford homes and 2 council contracts but every other week the account was on stop at pts and plumb centre so we couldn't do the work. Administrators are in on Monday so I reckon I won't see my 2 weeks in hand and I'm sure they have to pay 4 weeks notice for redundancy but no mention of that either. Just had a meeting today and with no warning everyones out of a job

You get £380 pound a week off the Government for the wages you may have lost. So when I was at Connaught and lost my job they didn't pay us for two weeks so I got 2 lots of £380. Buts it 380 mno matter what you where earning but not if its less. Plus then you get your redundancy on top of that. Plus you get a payment as you had no notice of your job loss I cant remember what thats called. I was Connaught for two years and my total payments where around £2200

got layed off in october, have done some jobs for myself in the mean time made a good bit of money got money saved up for CKR1 and HTR1 and getting GSR, finished my business plan going to see Princes Trust on wednesday to discuss some funding, so its coming together by the end of this month I should have my van and GSR. If I were you I'd do the same getting layed off was probably the best thing that happened to me tbh you work for a company and get a wage at the end of the week when you can make that money in a day or 2 yourself

For Villa Tom

My best mates job is going down the tubes fast and he thinks the company will fold - I have been self employed for years and knew nothing about provisions for situations like this but your info will be vital to him.

So £380 for each week unpaid ? and do the government pay the redundancy you mention and can you remember what the no notice payment is ?

He will be very gratefull

centralheatking

I lost my job in the Connaught mess, We where not paid for the last 14 days work, actual working days not saturday/sunday if you know what I mean. So you have to put a claim in for lost days work which the government pay. You get £76 per day lost - It works out at £380 a week, so you do lose money buts its better than a kick in the balls. You get given a form when your laid off and once filled out they money is sent to you with your redundancy.

Not to sure on the notice payment but its something like they have to gove you what you would have had to give them, So I would have had to give two weeks notice of I left so they had to pay me two weeks as they day they told us we lost our jobs we left. But sometimes they make you redundant in advance therfore you would not get this payment.

Theres loads of info on here www.direct.gov.uk

If the worst does happen and your mate lose's his job then tell him don't bother going down the job centre for help filling in forms and finding out what could be owed to you from the firm. I went down my local job centre for help and waited two hours and they couldn't help me they where to busy helping junkies and people who don't want to work. The website above have all the info you'll get from the job centre and more.

excellent thread guys

so if the worse happens its not all bad and as daunting as first though

I know many a plumber who started out in a car

I know a chap who still works out of his 4 x 4, free lander i think it is, just does boiler repairs and serving as well as land lord certs

keep your head up!

I've been working out of my car but I dont like it I don't think it looks very professional turning up at a customers house in sports car :p, and I'm constantly running into problems where I have the material in the house but not in my car :( So a small van is the way forward for me me thinks !

I have a permanent job based in Middlesborough if you are interested. Cheers Cliff 07814 700074

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Been made redundant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock