Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Bleeding radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike C

How often would you normally need to bleed radiators? I moved into a property recently and noticed straightaway that a couple of radiators needing bleeding. I bled them and they seemed fine after but only a couple of weeks later I had to do the same two again, all the others are fine. Is this normal or sign of other problems?

Cheers

You'll find that one or two radiators will collect all the air.

But, over 2 weeks, that seems a bit excessive. You could have a leak on a radiator, you could also have a blockage in some pipework stopping the air going up the vent pipe or it could be caused by corrosion in the heating system

Actually, what system is it? What boiler do you have?

no he's not taking the proverbial it is to check for hydrogen which is a sign of corrosion in the system

I had same question from a customer other day, but it seems just air - it was only only happening every 4 - 6 weeks

The corrosion will be inside the system. You won't see the rust, hence the question. Hydrogen is a by product of the reaction taking place inside your system. What boiler is fitted?

The corrosion will be inside the system. You won't see the rust, hence the question. Hydrogen is a by product of the reaction taking place inside your system. What boiler is fitted?

I was asked above if I could see any rust

As said, light it. if there is no flame then it's air ingress and may require a decent plumber to sort.

If it lights then it's the system water quality and a chemical reactions taking place, possibly due to the various metals in the system. Start saving for a new boiler because the evo is very similar to the icos, and they are not thought of very well in this world because of all the problems. Make sure that you get something with a stainless steel heat exchanger too.

As said, light it. if there is no flame then it's air ingress and may require a decent plumber to sort.

If it lights then it's the system water quality and a chemical reactions taking place, possibly due to the various metals in the system. Start saving for a new boiler because the evo is very similar to the icos, and they are not thought of very well in this world because of all the problems. Make sure that you get something with a stainless steel heat exchanger too.

God you lot are so pessimistic. In a previous property I had a very old boiler and every one who came to service it used to shake there heads, blow out some air and tell me I had better start saving for a new one and this won't last much longer etc. Still going strong.

God you lot are so pessimistic. In a previous property I had a very old boiler and every one who came to service it used to shake there heads, blow out some air and tell me I had better start saving for a new one and this won't last much longer etc. Still going strong.

not pessimistic. Realistic.

This topic seems to me a classic case of critising free professional advice when the said advice isn't welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bleeding radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
I bought the a bleed valve from S****fix about a year ago: s****fix.com/p/radiator-vent-blanking-plug-nickel-2-pack/40972 It worked fine...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
Hi so I changed a towel radiator in bathroom from a normal radiator. I bunged the f&e tank and vent pipe , drained about a pint of water out the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock