Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Boiler AR?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gaspastemania

Have been helping a friend with a heating install today, boiler and rads upgrade. He was installing the boiler and i noticed he had screwed the boiler to a sheet of wood so he could get a fixing .Now my understanding of this is that its a potential fire risk so is AR situation, i have always used fireboard in these situations when securing a boiler against a possible flammable material to seperate from source.Made a casual comment about this and that he should refer to his viper , i know he wont as he is quite bullish at times but he's paying my wages on this job. Anyone think i am right and should pursue this or let him go as its his job .( kinda dont wanna rock the boat).

your 100% right he should have lined the wood with ellis board

Not always the case. Worcester have released a TB stating they can be mounted on ply or similar combustible surface.

Check with the MI's

At least a sheet of fire plaster board, I had to rip out an install some agency Lads did on a housing acsociation better homes upgrade, they had taken an old kitchen unit door that had been in the garden of the house and was like weetabix on the corners, screwed that to the wall, then hung the boiler 12 degrees out of plumb on that.

you need to tell us what specific boiler he fitted on timber then we can tell you if he or you know what they are doing, check the MI and it will confirm if the boiler needs to be fitted on a non combustible material or not

Btw ANY plasterboard (12.5mm) is suitable. It has a half hour rating, but as Redsaw said we have the wallpaper question. Worcesters in particular, with their plastic frame could hardly state the must be mounted on an incombustible wall. The frame would melt before the woodchip caught fire. Use your common sense and have a read of the particular MI's.

Its a worcester gs 28i he has fitted, iknow that he can be quite a corner cutter which is why i mentioned it to him about possible fire risk,its up to him if he wants to check the MI's (i know he wont). As for the wallpaper question i have always either fitted fire board or removed any combustable material where the boiler will be directly fitted,was the way i was taught may be old school practice nowadays but better safe than sorry as they say !!!

You could always give worcester a quick call to confirm it's ok mounted as it is.

got to go with redsaw my mates been doing it for yrs as what you suppose to do if it needs a good fixing also who foots the bill for you being fussy if you start adding money they will just go to someone else fire boards about £50 last time i looked plus you have a big round expantion vessal with water in it behind of the burner also most boilers allow you to have a cuboard round them in the kitchen and usually with 10mm or 20mm gap so to me theres no diffrence as being on a board which is much futher away from the wood than the cuboard

got to go with redsaw my mates been doing it for yrs as what you suppose to do if it needs a good fixing also who foots the bill for you being fussy if you start adding money they will just go to someone else fire boards about £50 last time i looked plus you have a big round expantion vessal with water in it behind of the burner also most boilers allow you to have a cuboard round them in the kitchen and usually with 10mm or 20mm gap so to me theres no diffrence as being on a board which is much futher away from the wood than the cuboard

ellis boards are around £13,it all depends on what mi,s ask for

Last edited by a moderator:
it gets absolutely ridiculous is some cases.
what about timber framed houses, cladded rooms for example.
if you put a piece of baco-foil behind the boiler mount the same as you do with wallpaper then this covers the combustible rule.
crazy.

it gets absolutely ridiculous is some cases.
what about timber framed houses, cladded rooms for example.
if you put a piece of baco-foil behind the boiler mount the same as you do with wallpaper then this covers the combustible rule.
crazy.
and the modern ones dont get anywhere near as hot as the old wall mounted cast iron lumps

point am trying to make is a peice of wood/board is no diffrent to having a cuboard round your boiler just the same fire risk

We both had a look through the MI's today and it does state about refering to viper about combustable materials , either way its not my install and like has been stated ellis board is only £13 so wont do no harm either way .

are you talking about the appliances or the fitters

the appliances,then again the old mans always overheating reckon its because he moves faster than the youngsters i reckon his high limit stats gone down

We both had a look through the MI's today and it does state about refering to viper about combustable materials , either way its not my install and like has been stated ellis board is only £13 so wont do no harm either way .

For future reference read the previous link to the worcs technical bulletin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler AR?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
we had a grant condensing boiler fitted last year, the lad works for a heating company and said would fit it. when he did he put the pipes all...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer &...
Replies
Views
My apologies as this question has probably been asked loads of times. We moved into a new house in Jan which has an oil boiler, the room that...
Replies
Views
All feedback welcome ! Here are a few details . 1.New Ecotec Vaillant boiler fitted ."protection kit/filter " paid for to get 10 year...
Replies
Views
WPJ Plumbing
W
My mother has a rented-out property at the above postcode. She's lives abroad and is stuck, and I am in a similar situation. Existing boiler is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock