Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Boiler Flues & removal of terminal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

safetyman

I've come across a couple of instances in External Wall Insulation where the operatives believe that it is OK for a boiler flue terminal to be removed from the wall but allowing the boiler to continue working whilst they install external wall insulation onto a building, but they leave a space of 300mm around the flue pipe hole (therefore not obstructing the flue pipe). They have in one instance removed the flue terminal off the outside of the wall but believe it OK to do so if they leave that 300mm gap around the hole (note - only the terminal was removed, and no part of the pipework was otherwise touched.

I've tried finding definitive guidance on this, but can not find any.

Does anyone have any ideas? I need to write a robust policy on this but it needs to be backed up by clear external guidance.........

unless they are gas safe they shouldnt touch any flues at all. Basically they are making an id situation imho

What do you mean by terminal? You'd have a job to remove the terminal on most flues with out causing damage. Do you mean the terminal guard, the cage thing around the flue?

i believe he,s talking about the actual terminal on most horizontal flues its riveted on s hard to remove

If you have a current example I would invite Gas Safe to come in and comment. They should be able to help build up your policy on this.

worked on a few external insulation jobs recently and what should happen is the boiler flue needs to be extended the correct amount by a gas safe engineer the week before the work is due to start.

It may be the case that the boiler flue can no longer be brought as parts are not available. In this case it is an option to create a frame around the flue with the render transitioning from new to old levels. This can only be done if this work meets manufactures instructions/ or with the manufacturer permission.

only gas safe registered engineers can work on the flue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Flues & removal of terminal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock