Discuss Boiler issues not firing after refill in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all...got some issues....drained my working ok system yesterday to upgrade some 15 to 22 on the flow and return rad circuit.
Refilled and bled up.
Fired boiler up, had hot water and rads for 3-4 hours...
Turned off to cool.
Boiler would not fire on timer later, demand wouldnt work either....
Noticed that the pump when working did sound like it was passing bubbles...if that makes sense...?
Also, boiler temp was very high, and heat exchanger was boiling hot to touch.
This morning no hot water or heating on timer fired boiler, so i switched both to demand, i think the boiler woke up, but temp went from 30s to 102 in a couple of minutes.....

Last night i cracked the bleed nipple at the bottom of the heat exchanger and there was water present.

Im assuming i have air locked boiler?

I never had any problems like this with the gravity fed system....

99% sure it will be air

Check to ensure heat exchanger is vented, system filter too (I've had systems where nearly all air is caught in the filter and it takes ages to keep bleeding it waiting and then repeat). Once everything is vented properly then you need to start getting some flow moving and the pump will soon clear the air. Start with your hot water only.

If your boiler isn't firing still and it sounds like the pump is cavitating then unplug the connector for a second or 2 or hold the switch between 2 different speeds to stall it, this will let the air escape and allow the pump to keep trying to clear the air.

If you have no luck with the hot water (I had one this week) then run the heating only and shut down every radiator but one, if you have a Y plan make sure you turn your cyl stat down to ensure the valve shuts the hot water. Then go round once and turn a new rad on and the old one off each time they get hot, then finally introduce the hot water.

A photo of your pump and pipe work in the airing cupboard may help too

Yep air locked try running on hot water only if you have a cylinder

99% sure it will be air

Check to ensure heat exchanger is vented, system filter too (I've had systems where nearly all air is caught in the filter and it takes ages to keep bleeding it waiting and then repeat). Once everything is vented properly then you need to start getting some flow moving and the pump will soon clear the air. Start with your hot water only.

If your boiler isn't firing still and it sounds like the pump is cavitating then unplug the connector for a second or 2 or hold the switch between 2 different speeds to stall it, this will let the air escape and allow the pump to keep trying to clear the air.

If you have no luck with the hot water (I had one this week) then run the heating only and shut down every radiator but one, if you have a Y plan make sure you turn your cyl stat down to ensure the valve shuts the hot water. Then go round once and turn a new rad on and the old one off each time they get hot, then finally introduce the hot water.

OK...heat exchanger vented as in....?

99% sure it will be air

Il put a pic up

Reply to Boiler issues not firing after refill in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

when I removed the back coal saver I can now see the mental back boiler. I could not see the back boiler when I put the coal saver in place last...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just had a "Main Eco Compact" combi boiler installed as the Biasi one failed. It seems to work fine, gives a hot bath, i dont ever use the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock