Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Boiler problems in new house! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doddym

Hello,

Ive just moved into a new house which has an older boiler installed.
It is a Glowworm Ultimate with a Lifestyle LP112 programmer.

I cannot get the central heating to switch on by itself, it will only operate if the hot water is also switched on at the same time.

If i switch on the central heating by itself the boiler does not even attempt to start or fire up.

The hot water always fires up first time - no probs there.

There does not appear to be a 'y' valve in the airing cupboard.

There are four pipes going in/out of the boiler.

Any advice would be most appreciated

TIA

Doddym

The pump is upstairs in the airing cupboard (hotpress) It works fine aslong as the hot water is switched on too.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok under the pump there should be 2 gray boxes on the pipes these are motorized valves one is for heat other for hot water is this true??

Definately sounds like a controls issue. Very difficult to diagnose without actually looking at it.

Hi Diesal,

difficult to see, but it looks like a std pump with pipe in one side, out the other & a power cable going to a fused spur. I can't see any grey boxes on the pipes. Its v low to the airing cupboard floor partially hidden by a shower pump.

ok maye have a look for them motorised valves sounds to me like you have a faulty valve on the heating if u find it theres a black arm on top of the valve flick that over to manual and it will fire your heating up.

power go from, time clock>room stat>motorised valve>boiler

and you have clock>room stat>????

we know your boiler is ok as it works on hw

all signs point to a faulty motorized valve

if you flick the arm on the MV you have to manually reset it or your heating will stay on.

keep us posted

Hello,

Ive just moved into a new house which has an older boiler installed.
It is a Glowworm Ultimate with a Lifestyle LP112 programmer.

I cannot get the central heating to switch on by itself, it will only operate if the hot water is also switched on at the same time.

If i switch on the central heating by itself the boiler does not even attempt to start or fire up.

The hot water always fires up first time - no probs there.

There does not appear to be a 'y' valve in the airing cupboard.

There are four pipes going in/out of the boiler.

Any advice would be most appreciated

TIA

Doddym

Gravity HW thats why you can only have HW and heating at the same time. Thats why no 3 port valve.

If you mean there are four water pipes connected to the boiler (or three plus the gas pipe), you have a pumped heating/gravity hot water system. Which explains why you do not have a Y-plan valve.

With this type of system you cannot have the heating on without having the water on. In the summer, you can have just the water on.

If you remove the timer from the backplate, you will see a switch on the back. It's probably in the P position; it should be in the G position.

If you want separate control of CH and HW, you will have to either put a valve into the return pipe from HW cylinder to boiler, or convert it to a Y Plan system.

Thanks for the responses.

Does this then make the boiler very inneficient & therefore expensive to run?

Is it a big job to convert to convert to a Y valve system? What would you guess a plumber/gasman would charge to do this?

Does this then make the boiler very inneficient & therefore expensive to run?
Yes. Mainly because of the time it takes for the hot water to be reheated and the fact that, as you have found, you cannot have heating and hot water at separate times in the winter.

Is it a big job to convert to convert to a Y valve system? What would you guess a plumber/gasman would charge to do this?
How hard will depend on the relative positions of the boiler and cylinder as new pipes will have to be installed, as well as a motorized valve, cylinder thermostat and wiring centre. It's probably a day's job plus parts.

Get three quotes from recommended installers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler problems in new house! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock