Discuss Bristan mixer issues - cold water mainly and now knob fell off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pk222

Have a Bristan shower which is 3yrs old (no receipt though)

The mixer knob has fallen off and looks like the plastic 'washer' or 'holder' inside it has disintegrated (thing that attaches the knob to the actual mixer) - does anyone know what these are called and where can I get them from so I can put the knob back on?

Pictures here
2rr17o1.jpg

Is there a way of identifying the model of the shower at all?
oid7go.jpg

Also, the mixer hasn't been working properly for a while - sometimes its really good but most of the time not so much (using the basin taps gives you hot water but not the shower mixer so am assuming its something with the mixer)

Have read about the catridge but not sure how to get to it and how to replace it? Believe/presuming it is not thermostatic as the mixer turns 3 complete rotations from full hot to full cold.

Don't really want to replace the shower as its going to be quite frustrating with the tiling, not to mention the expense and finding a decent plumber, etc etc.

All parts are avalible through Bristan or Shower Doctor site

If you send pics to bristan,they will sort you out with part numbers and parts required

ps....looks like a nice bit of tiling !!!

Thanks - have sent it to them, fingers crossed that the part can be replaced without taking the tiling off. Still not sure what can cause the apparent mixer issues.

yeah. . the finish is a bit off . . . small compromise to make when buying a place but annoys me everytime :(

hi there

the plastic part you require is called a spline adapter

I would also ask them for the fitting instructions at the same time

@Tom - thanks a lot for that. Now once they get back to me with the model I can start to go about putting it back on.

Any ideas on why the water doesn't come out hot even when the mixer is fully on the 'hot' side - guessing its not a thermostatic one hence not sure what could be the issue?

How would I go about figuring out the issue here (once the mixer knob is back on)?

shower is a thermostatic one

could be the cartridge is sticking

best bet is to take it out and clean and descale it

think you will need to take the silver plate of to do that

@Tom - thanks a lot for that. Its been very helpful.

Sent Bristan a request through the contact form last night - no response.

Just called them and after 20min they are sending a replacement 'handle' FOC as they didn't have the spline adapter

Also emailed the fitting instructions (looks like I need to 'pry' the concealing plate out .. .its going to be interesting)

Oh and found out it is a Bristan Compass

Which way is north then :)

yeah sometimes the spline adapters come with the relevant handle

good look prising the concealing plate out just try not to mark it, its your shower so you will wanna keep[ it nice

@Tom .. yeah thanks .. .North is whichever way gets the handles and the concealing plate out!!

Just tried to pull out the handle and shroud but is refusing to budge - don't want to pull too hard in case I need another spline adapter for that. Hmm. . .. going to be interesting as manual just says pull handle and shroud!!

Looks like there is some kind of plaster around the concealing plate so not sure if I have to scrape away the plater to get it out (if I manage to remove the handle in the first place that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bristan mixer issues - cold water mainly and now knob fell off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Hello! Im Martyn Im new here and have joined for some advice on a couple of things. Ive got an issue with a Mira mixer shower that has...
Replies
Views
I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge...
Replies
Views
Hi Guy's, Looking for some advice on an issue I have having with a recently installed thermostatic mixer shower in my ensuite. Everything was...
Replies
Views
I'm in the process of refurbishing my bathroom. I'll be replacing the existing bath with a walk in shower. Will be installing a thermostatic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock