Discuss Burst pipe under screed mystery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Yes my subbie put the Hep fittings (old 15mm copper - hep20 fitting- hep20 15mm) in the screed, and yes my first thought also was that was why it failed. However in hindsight I don't know why this should automatically be assumed as the I cannot think of a reason why it should fail in screed and not in a stud wall void.

I can understand if it was a new large screed floor because the contraction over time of the screed can cause large movements which might put pressure on the grips and seals between the fittings and pipe. But this would not occur with small screed patches as in this case. I also thought about whether natural expansion and contraction of the rigid plastic fitting in a confined screed could cause a fracture, but then 2.5 years is a long time for this to wait to happen.

What I also wondered was whether the failure of the pressure gauge might cause the homeowner to read zero pressure, and then ramp up the pressure to maximum mistakenly believing that the pressure was not rising. This might cause the weakest point in the system to fail. In an all copper system this could be the plastic to copper joint, but if this had not failed, next would have been a copper joint.

Screed will get into the fitting and onto the seals air in a void won’t. Think you’re clutching at straws a bit with the pressure thing as most plastic is good up to 10 bar

All joints were well wrapped to prevent any contamination from cement in screed. Did not think about the PRV opening at 3bar. Could it be anything to do with 1 pipe system, that was the other coincidence, first time a Hep20 joint has failed on me and first time I've had dealings with 1 pipe system?

Reply to Burst pipe under screed mystery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock