Search the forum,

Discuss Business Success in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T & H Plumbing

Hi Chaps n Chapettes

Most of you work for yourself and most have started out from scratch
, starting out for the first time can be a lonely place whilst you build up your rep and customer base, my business advisor always told me when you first start out your business will go to a high level then it will plummet to another level and then your business will grow to a level and it's from that level you begin to build your business

I'm not sure how correct that bit of advice was but I took any advice on when I set out anyways, for all you established people out there my question is this from first starting up on your own how long did it take you to comfortably make a living?

Or should I say how long did it take you to realise you have made it to the next step and was confident you could sustain a growing business?

I know building a business will always be an ongoing project and nobody always gets to a point where they have 100% made it unless your that tool at plimlico anyways your thoughts would be intresting

started on my own September 2013. Made more money than i have ever earned working for a company in the first 9 months and keep getting better every day!

To the people that are afraid to jump in and go it alone .. DO IT! having a plan B means youre afraid of plan A .. jump in and go for it

started on my own September 2013. Made more money than i have ever earned working for a company in the first 9 months and keep getting better every day!

To the people that are afraid to jump in and go it alone .. DO IT! having a plan B means youre afraid of plan A .. jump in and go for it

Fair play to you. In my first year I wasn't 0 actually I paid to work lol. Things are already looking better for this year as I've taken half of what I did last year already so hopefully I might earn a few pennies! (Not if I keep messing up prices though lol)

As for having a plan B I've always had a plan of if it failed I would become a **** star, but my girlfriend tells me I will never make it as a **** star so I best keep working at plumbing lol.

Started the business in 2011, told my accountant how much I would take. He laughed and said everyone has a plan, year later I had made what I said I would. Every year has been a 10% increase on the last, so far so good

Never had a plan never will all i know is that out of the plumbers around here a good 60% a utter shambolic rubbish . Try rise above that carp and i should be o.k

Hi Chaps n Chapettes

Most of you work for yourself and most have started out from scratch
, starting out for the first time can be a lonely place whilst you build up your rep and customer base, my business advisor always told me when you first start out your business will go to a high level then it will plummet to another level and then your business will grow to a level and it's from that level you begin to build your business

I'm not sure how correct that bit of advice was but I took any advice on when I set out anyways, for all you established people out there my question is this from first starting up on your own how long did it take you to comfortably make a living?

Or should I say how long did it take you to realise you have made it to the next step and was confident you could sustain a growing business?

I know building a business will always be an ongoing project and nobody always gets to a point where they have 100% made it unless your that tool at plimlico anyways your thoughts would be intresting

in a nutshell (unless i am mistaken!)based on the criptic clue above............

untill you get your prices right and you no longer work for nothing ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Just over 3 years for me to see a consist ant minimum wage and have the prospect of the company turn a profit in addition to paying my wage. Came around the same time I realised I have now worked for most of my customers annually for 3 years. Actually I am more proud that I gain and keep my customers than that I turn a profit now.

been about 10 years on my tod now, no matter how hard I work, she always manages to spend it!!!!!!!!!!

when you first start out your business will go to a high level then it will plummet to another level and then your business will grow to a level and it's from that level you begin to build your business

I recognise this, and have seen it hundreds of times.

Step 1. Plumber working for a company decides to go self employed.
Step 2. Whilst still employed, plumber does all the ground-work (gets van, deals with insurance etc)
Step 3. Whilst still employed, plumber lines up as much work as possible against the day that they go SE.
Step 4. HOORAY! Now Self employed
Step 5. Spend 3 months or so doing all the work lined up in Step 3. Completely forget that you also need to be getting NEW work in this period
Step 6. Work lined up in Step 3 now complete. Absence of effort to get new work in steps 4-5 now comes home to roost.
Step 7. Panic
Step 8. Gradually rebuild the business, or go back to working for someone else.

The problem with being self employed is that everyone thinks they know how to run a business, just like everyone thinks they are good at sex.

Professionals in both industries just sit there and laugh at the amateurs.

unless your that tool at plimlico

If you think that the most successful plumber in Britain is a tool, what is your aim in setting up your business? To make LESS money than Charlie Mullins?

Last edited by a moderator:
charlie mullins isnt the richest plumber in britain. The lad who started and sold Help-Link was originally a plumber and now lives in an enormous estate not far from my house.

I read his book on holiday and was very inspired by his story and attitude. The later chapters let him down though portraying himself as a self centred fame addict

I recognise this, and have seen it hundreds of times.

Step 1. Plumber working for a company decides to go self employed.
Step 2. Whilst still employed, plumber does all the ground-work (gets van, deals with insurance etc)
Step 3. Whilst still employed, plumber lines up as much work as possible against the day that they go SE.
Step 4. HOORAY! Now Self employed
Step 5. Spend 3 months or so doing all the work lined up in Step 3. Completely forget that you also need to be getting NEW work in this period
Step 6. Work lined up in Step 3 now complete. Absence of effort to get new work in steps 4-5 now comes home to roost.
Step 7. Panic
Step 8. Gradually rebuild the business, or go back to working for someone else.

The problem with being self employed is that everyone thinks they know how to run a business, just like everyone thinks they are good at sex.

Professionals in both industries just sit there and laugh at the amateurs.

If you think that the most successful plumber in Britain is a tool, what is your aim in setting up your business? To make LESS money than Charlie Mullins?

Haha so true of when I went SE the first time but I didn't have time for 1-3 as the company I worked for went bump so I took there work on when that finished money dried up and troubles began.

The best advice I can offer is this: -

1.) Present yourself as knowledgeable and professional. If you DON'T know something, tell the customer you will find out and get back to them. Don't bull**** people.

2.) When you promise to do something, do it. Get quotes to people on time, turn up to jobs when you say you will. If you can't make the odd appointment, call and let people know.

3.) Have a 'target customer'. You may think this sounds stupid but people calling plumbing companies are after varying levels of service. Many want the cheapest service possible as they are skint (sadly). Some want a quality service and are willing to pay a premium for this. The latter people are the ones who will help you grow your business, but only if you deliver what they want. They will be the loyal ones who will keep using you.

There is no point in being the cheapest as the customers who want the cheapest plumber are not loyal. They will phone around next time they need a job done and find the cheapest again.

This is really important and imo is the real art in running a business. You can waste a lot of time quoting for people who either: -

A.) Don't want the product your business offers.
B.) Can't afford what they want.
C.) Have no intention of paying for what they want.

It's taken me longer to suss people out than it has to learn how to be a plumber. Generally now I have a good idea if I am going to get a quote within 10 minutes of entering the property. Not always mind, sometimes I still get surprised!!

4.) Don't pop over to quote for jobs that are less than a day in length. You should be able to give a reasonably accurate price on the phone by asking certain questions. This gives you more time to promote your business, do admin etc. It's worked very well for me. If the customer doesn't want to pay the money, it's been a waste of 5 minutes on the phone but it's not cost me any fuel or an hour of time to go and quote.

5.) If there's a disagreement or an issue, try and see it from the customer's perspective. This wasn't something I was great at doing initially. I lost a couple of customers in my time because I refused to see things from their point of view. Recently I've kept a customer who will probably be a regular one because of adjusting MY attitude.

6.) Keep a tight control on costs, even as your business grows and expands.

7.) Get the right systems in place when you start your business up that allow it to grow. Think particularly about the company name. Dripbusters Ltd was great for plumbing. Now we do electrical work (and gas soon) it's not so great. You can push through with a name that's not great but you have to market yourself a lot more.

8.) If you do all of the above consistently your business will grow and you should be more and more profitable each year.

My biggest blocker to growing my business initially was me. I (actually my wife) was very honest and said that I came across as very stubborn and abrupt when a customer had an issue. I'm always going to be like that deep down but stepping back to see things from other people's points of view has really helped me grow my business.

9.) Never get complacent and stop marketing your business. Many plumbers say they don't do marketing but I would challenge them and say they are missing a trick. Ok, so you have to take more staff on once you exceed what you can do in a week but what's wrong with growing the local economy? Our business is 6 years old and our apprentice always flyers each estate we do a large job in. We do this despite having an excellent online reputation and getting repeat business from many regular customers. It always generates more work and customers. As the business grows it needs more orders to sustain itself so you can never get complacent.

10.) Starting a business is very scary. I earned £3,000 in my first year, working 60 hours or so each week. This is my 6th full year now and after our wages (mine and 2x staff members) we've made £20k profit for this financial year so far and we aren't even a quarter of the way through it yet. I've massively exceeded my original expectations of what I thought was possible financially. The exciting bit is there's still another 20 or so years in me yet I reckon, although not that much on the tools!

I'm certainly not exceptional so if I can do it anyone can. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
The best advice I can offer is this: -

1.) Present yourself as knowledgeable and professional. If you DON'T know something, tell the customer you will find out and get back to them. Don't bull**** people.

2.) When you promise to do something, do it. Get quotes to people on time, turn up to jobs when you say you will. If you can't make the odd appointment, call and let people know.

3.) Have a 'target customer'. You may think this sounds stupid but people calling plumbing companies are after varying levels of service. Many want the cheapest service possible as they are skint (sadly). Some want a quality service and are willing to pay a premium for this. The latter people are the ones who will help you grow your business, but only if you deliver what they want. They will be the loyal ones who will keep using you.

There is no point in being the cheapest as the customers who want the cheapest plumber are not loyal. They will phone around next time they need a job done and find the cheapest again.

This is really important and imo is the real art in running a business. You can waste a lot of time quoting for people who either: -

A.) Don't want the product your business offers.
B.) Can't afford what they want.
C.) Have no intention of paying for what they want.

It's taken me longer to suss people out than it has to learn how to be a plumber. Generally now I have a good idea if I am going to get a quote within 10 minutes of entering the property. Not always mind, sometimes I still get surprised!!

4.) Don't pop over to quote for jobs that are less than a day in length. You should be able to give a reasonably accurate price on the phone by asking certain questions. This gives you more time to promote your business, do admin etc. It's worked very well for me. If the customer doesn't want to pay the money, it's been a waste of 5 minutes on the phone but it's not cost me any fuel or an hour of time to go and quote.

5.) If there's a disagreement or an issue, try and see it from the customer's perspective. This wasn't something I was great at doing initially. I lost a couple of customers in my time because I refused to see things from their point of view. Recently I've kept a customer who will probably be a regular one because of adjusting MY attitude.

6.) Keep a tight control on costs, even as your business grows and expands.

7.) Get the right systems in place when you start your business up that allow it to grow. Think particularly about the company name. Dripbusters Ltd was great for plumbing. Now we do electrical work (and gas soon) it's not so great. You can push through with a name that's not great but you have to market yourself a lot more.

8.) If you do all of the above consistently your business will grow and you should be more and more profitable each year.

My biggest blocker to growing my business initially was me. I (actually my wife) was very honest and said that I came across as very stubborn and abrupt when a customer had an issue. I'm always going to be like that deep down but stepping back to see things from other people's points of view has really helped me grow my business.

9.) Never get complacent and stop marketing your business. Many plumbers say they don't do marketing but I would challenge them and say they are missing a trick. Ok, so you have to take more staff on once you exceed what you can do in a week but what's wrong with growing the local economy? Our business is 6 years old and our apprentice always flyers each estate we do a large job in. We do this despite having an excellent online reputation and getting repeat business from many regular customers. It always generates more work and customers. As the business grows it needs more orders to sustain itself so you can never get complacent.

10.) Starting a business is very scary. I earned £3,000 in my first year, working 60 hours or so each week. This is my 6th full year now and after our wages (mine and 2x staff members) we've made £20k profit for this financial year so far and we aren't even a quarter of the way through it yet. I've massively exceeded my original expectations of what I thought was possible financially. The exciting bit is there's still another 20 or so years in me yet I reckon, although not that much on the tools!

I'm certainly not exceptional so if I can do it anyone can. Best of luck to you!

Outstanding post Keiran - absolutely great advice there. This should be made a sticky.

Really good post Croft, much of this I have been through and had to learn the hard way myself. I'm still learning as well, marketing being the biggest hurdle for me.

Another point I would make which expands on having a target market is don't be afraid to turn work away if it doesn't suit the type of business you operate. Decide what you are going to charge and stick to it, be politely honest with your customers if you can't offer them what they want. I've won jobs at a higher price before by saying we wouldn't be able to do a job for XYZ but then given them a reason for why, or by explaining why we charge what we do and how that is better for the customer.

Also, value for money is a perception. You're unlikely to get away with a higher price if you turn up in a tracksuit and a rusty old banger. First impressions count for a lot. I've not yet got my new van signwritten and I have noticed a difference in peoples perceptions when I turn up, compared to my older van that had signwriting on it.

Create systems as if you were giving the job to somebody else. Yes, its a chore and it takes time, and at the beginning you'll probably be wondering what the point is, but if you want to take people on they will need to use that system to tell you what they've done. It'll also make things quicker, easier and less of a chore to do, freeing up time for other things, working or marketing. (or chatting on here..)

Do the research in to how to run a business, how to engage with your customers and how to grab their attention. You need to tell customers what they want to hear, not what you want them to know.

Last edited:
Really good post Croft, much of this I have been through and had to learn the hard way myself. I'm still learning as well, marketing being the biggest hurdle for me.

Another point I would make which expands on having a target market is don't be afraid to turn work away if it doesn't suit the type of business you operate. Decide what you are going to charge and stick to it, be politely honest with your customers if you can't offer them what they want. I've won jobs at a higher price before by saying we wouldn't be able to do a job for XYZ but then given them a reason for why, or by explaining why we charge what we do and how that is better for the customer.

Also, value for money is a perception. You're unlikely to get away with a higher price if you turn up in a tracksuit and a rusty old banger. First impressions count for a lot. I've not yet got my new van signwritten and I have noticed a difference in peoples perceptions when I turn up, compared to my older van that had signwriting on it.

Create systems as if you were giving the job to somebody else. Yes, its a chore and it takes time, and at the beginning you'll probably be wondering what the point is, but if you want to take people on they will need to use that system to tell you what they've done. It'll also make things quicker, easier and less of a chore to do, freeing up time for other things, working or marketing. (or chatting on here..)

Do the research in to how to run a business, how to engage with your customers and how to grab their attention. You need to tell customers what they want to hear, not what you want them to know.

Positive or negative reaction to the non sign written van?

A kind of hesitation as in 'who's this?' Even though it's a brand new van as opposed to an older van. I don't think van signwriting really creates much business but it does give you some identity and a sense of authenticity.

Having had a sign written van in the past i honestly don't think it makes any difference from the plain one i have now . The big bonus is when you sell your van as if its plain it has more value. Oh another bonus of plain vans is road rage your just another white van man in these incidents.

To be honest we are shortly going to be buying 2 new vans. I'm going to get them fully wrapped as I plan on keeping the vans for many years. Wrapping is expensive but it protects my vehicles from rusting etc. VW vans will last ages, it's usually rust that gets them, so anything I can do to minimise that risk is worth it.

I haven't had much work from our signwritten vans, but the signwriting looks very 'DIY' so I'm not hugely surprised.

To be honest we are shortly going to be buying 2 new vans. I'm going to get them fully wrapped as I plan on keeping the vans for many years. Wrapping is expensive but it protects my vehicles from rusting etc. VW vans will last ages, it's usually rust that gets them, so anything I can do to minimise that risk is worth it.

I haven't had much work from our signwritten vans, but the signwriting looks very 'DIY' so I'm not hugely surprised.

I don't see much rust on VW's, my transporter is 7 years old with 100k plus in it but its been looked after & still looks brand new!!

Get the sign writing done professionally, a bad or DIY job would give off a bad impression & probably gives off a worse impression than no writing at all!

I think our Crafters are duds then. Both showing rusting after 6 years tbh. Very low mileage, both under 50k. I think a well designed wrap will be a good advertising medium to be fair. It's something to help you stand out from the crowd initially.

Ironically, it was a 'professional' that put on our last signwriting. It's squint in places and I wasn't very impressed but we needed our van back and earning..

Last edited:
I think our Crafters are duds then. Both showing rusting after 6 years tbh. Very low mileage, both under 50k. I think a well designed wrap will be a good advertising medium to be fair. It's something to help you stand out from the crowd initially.

Ironically, it was a 'professional' that put on our last signwriting. It's squint in places and I wasn't very impressed but we needed our van back and earning..

It's just the crafters, they are Mercedes Sprinters in team VW pyjamas. Anything Mercedes rusts.

Interesting. Which large Crafter sized van doesn't rust? I'd be very keen to find one!!

Some great points made on starting and running a successfull business, I have to disagree on one point though, a business needs to be profitable to succeed and that includes paying yourself wages. I had quite a heated debate with a close friend of mine about this hes a business advisor ( got 2k off the government for "helping " me when i went LTD did ...... nothing). His argument was that myself and the other director shouldnt take wages or dividends for 12 months I disagreed.

Vito doesn't rust! Had afew iffy years, 04-06 but mines a 09 and no rust what so ever - afew dings on it and still no rust. Half the van is plastic anyway...

Some great points made on starting and running a successfull business, I have to disagree on one point though, a business needs to be profitable to succeed and that includes paying yourself wages. I had quite a heated debate with a close friend of mine about this hes a business advisor ( got 2k off the government for "helping " me when i went LTD did ...... nothing). His argument was that myself and the other director shouldnt take wages or dividends for 12 months I disagreed.

There is no right or wrong answer to this. It depends on your business plan. Some businesses have longer initial investment periods than others. The important thing is that it profitable in the long run, and that you have enough cash saved (or another source of income) to pay your personal expenses until the business can afford you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Business Success in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Welcome again! I'm 45, a Registered Adult nurse working in busy, acute medical wards. At work, I almost constantly deal with fluids and tiny pipeworks: IV, subcut, veins, ports, midlines, cannulas, oral, and nasogastric.. Yay.. Yet, after Covid19 something started to slowly break down at me...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I am looking for an experienced Plumbing and Gas Engineer who would be willing to partner to build a team of subcontactors (10 in the medium term). You would ideally be a one-man band who is keen to get off the tools and run a business. I have successfully paternered previously but...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock