Discuss Buying Tools and Materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Mckenzie

I'm just starting out and wondering where the best place is to buy materials and tools from. I live in Norwich and know of a few merchants but cost always seem to vary. I really hate screwfix but still find myself in there more than i'd like (early and late opening hours are helpful sometimes) Are there any decent Plumbing Suppliers on-line? Or is it best to stick with the merchants? Anyone use PlumbCentre?

Cheers

Mark

A lot of people use BES. Why do you hate Screwfix? Are you a member of any plumbing trade associations? If yes, then Screwfix will offer you Plumb Fix prices at any branch of Screwfix or online. These prices are hard to beat, whether it’s a boiler or a bag of 15mm elbows. The quality these days is good too.

Why not supplement this by opening a trade account with your local independent plumbers merchants? That way you can pop to a place and pick up more unusual items, and build a two way relationship with a local business. My local merchants will phone around for unusual items, and do the leg work for me. They do this because they know I use them over people like PTS, Plumb Centre, and Plumb Base.

Works for me. Good luck.

you can pick up tools & even materials on ebay at good prices . toolstation is good for plumbing materials, they are a bit cheaper than screwfix. i find plumbcentre a bit expensive.

I use plumb centre most of the time . Mix it with a bit of screw fix for sundries. Any price that beats plumb I show them. They want my money and it's easier to shop at one place. I get good credit, flexible if I don't pay smack on time. And they look after me. Be right with them . Keep an eye on prices and make them feel you want to give them all your business. Get in with plumb manager. Remember proper merchants are better for helping u with problems. Getting u those spare air tap and plugs etc.

I use plumb centre most of the time . Mix it with a bit of screw fix for sundries. Any price that beats plumb I show them. They want my money and it's easier to shop at one place. I get good credit, flexible if I don't pay smack on time. And they look after me. Be right with them . Keep an eye on prices and make them feel you want to give them all your business. Get in with plumb manager. Remember proper merchants are better for helping u with problems. Getting u those spare air tap and plugs etc.

will plumbcentre match toolstation prices ? even if they do, you have to haggle with them ever time you go in . i prefer to just order online, less hassle. i just use local merchants when i'm forced to.

Perhaps I'm a bit old school. But I want a service that I can phone up at any time and they will work for me to find the answers and sort things. Places like screw fix etc they only know there products through codes. It could be a submarine your ordering, they r not bothered.

Perhaps I'm a bit old school. But I want a service that I can phone up at any time and they will work for me to find the answers and sort things. Places like screw fix etc they only know there products through codes. It could be a submarine your ordering, they r not bothered.

No one can argue with that.

My nearest plumbfix counter actually seem to know and care about what they are selling.

They might care, but they can't then start stocking something that's not in there book. Or phone a rep up about a product. Or give you another 15 days credit to pay. Just my opinion, buy hey ho I've only been doing it 23 years.

Barely out of your apprenticeship then. I've found that plumbfix are as liitle as a third of the cost of plumb center on fittings so I use them for the majority of my fittings. I use BES for the more unusual stuff and LPG stuff. Plumb center I use for the bigger stuff and copper tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Buying Tools and Materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
Hi. Apologies if this seems like an essay. The short question is where do you lot work from? Do you have largish houses, or do you work from a...
Replies
Views
R
Ok, so lots of people kindly participated in the great Intergas Poetry competition. See this thread for details. There are two prizes - the main...
Replies
Views
Whyme
W
R
Here's the back up poll for people who were ineligible for the free boiler, but nevertheless put pen to paper in an orgy of rhyming couplets and...
Replies
Views
Masood
M
Hi guys, been a while since I had a proper moan but been feeling a bit dejected with work at the moment. Not sure if i'm over reacting or being...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock