Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating pipe dropped through ceiling down to rads?. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

egginyourface

Good evening all,

After some advice on replumbing the central heating pipes in my flat. I live in a 2 bed flat with concerete floors. I was thinking about having the pipe work run up through the loft then chased down to the rad position.

Will this cause the boiler to work harder due to losses of heat ?
Will pipes have to go deeper so wall doesn't crack?
Is it better to use plastic or copper?

In your professional opinion is it better we chase pipes into floor or just run pipes surface?

I've asked a few plumbers that I work with for advice but they all come up with something different.

Your advice would be much appreciated

Hi egg obviously the boiler will have to work harder when fed from above as your adding alot of extra length onto the system but is your walls solid aswell

Surface copper every time, properly installed it adds to the heat outputs i.e. smaller rads, once painted to match you will hardly notices it.

Surface . Buckley do you do goverment funded jobs lol

Don't like to bury pipes unless it's a radiant wall job (like ufh). If you bury pipes wall will steal 50% more heat than if surface fixed; due to the fact solids conduct heat much more readily than air.

It is messy chasin walls or floor but if you minimise where the rads are position for less pipework then its hidden for me . Everytime

It depends on your preference if you want shown or not shown. Obviously there are pros n cons both ways. Alot depends on the layout of your flat to be honest.

what do you cover pipes in to stop plaster cracking and corrosion.used to use pvc cable cover for 10mm copper but prefere 15mm these days

up and over is the way most flats are plumbed now days IT will make no difference to the boiler.
The way you actually do it will depend on the present construction of your flat new flats are mostly 10 mm hidden behind the plasterboard but i assume your walls are finished which leaves surface pipework or chasing into the walls assuming the walls are capable . A well planned surface job isnt an eyesore as pipes can be dropped where they wont be seem behind doors behind curtains inside cupboards or in dead corners also you can often run rads back to back or side by side to reduce the number of drops
the other method is to go around the rooms just above skirting once painted youll hardly notice them its not unusual for older flats to have pipe work run this way
There are also various types of plastic trunking systems available but they do tend to be expensive and time consuming to fit
loss of heat inj the loft is overcome by lagging the pipes in cold areas

you could also do a mixture of all the above get some quotes and explore the options

Last edited:
did one of those compressed carboard walls last year in a bungalow easiest I ever done . went up loft with a cap end on a piece of overlow pipe and forced it down the wall making hole behind rads for the 10mm speed fit :) 1st time I used plastic pipe in ages

Thanks all for the advice,

I would be doing the chasing of walls as I have experience in this... (Guess what I'd do for a living) Then I will be getting central heating guy to run pipe work.

Ideally would be be nice for pipes to be hidden in the wall.

I have another question, is it over kill to put a thermostat in each room so that I can isolate each room individually?

You a dirty spark?

Stat in every room is excellent. Use a programmable stat. Fit each room or each cluster of rooms to a 22mm two port normally closed valve. Use the microswitch to bring boiler in .

Yes I'm a lovely spark... Lol

Its only two bed flat but I like the idea of controlling temp in each room. What would you do In your place?

Its only two bed flat but I like the idea of controlling temp in each room. What would you do In your place?

Personally a manifold system feeding each rad = minimum of joints
each room has a stat or programable stat in it.

mods i call for a ban....

we already let croft and mossep in...

thats TWO SPARKS already!!!!

Lol, can't we all just get along...

Do you mean like a underfloor heating manifold but for rads. Is this a more efficient way of heating the place? And what's the maximum zones? Suppose I would need one of those control junction boxes as well

Dead on.
or make one up with 15 or 22mm 2 portvalves yourself.
guardian solutions do 15mm style actuators which look perfect.

less joints, no reliance on trvs to yo yo the temp, i prefer it.

maximum zones? That depends on how good your wiring is :devil2:

You could go about wiring it like me ;)
Come to the dark side :D

uhe7uban.jpg

Never seen one of those before. I've wired standard vented and unvented systems with 2 x 2 port valve etc. Also used one of those speedfit wiring centres for ch, how and 2 ufh zones.

My boiler is a combi boiler, would this system work?

I have Myson mptrf smart start controllers in every room and a zone valve on every rad. But also have underfloor heating on groundfloor.

System work easy.

240 to stat, s/l from stat to two port. Microswitch to switch boiler volt free. Common up on all micro switches so in parallel.

you could spend a fortune on controls, you could fit trvs and get off ya arse and turn your rad valves on,off or up,down as needed. Its all about what suits you. :)

welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating pipe dropped through ceiling down to rads?. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock