Discuss ceramic sink? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave1

hi guys ive got install 2x ceramic kitchen sinks and will need to drill the hole for the taps, the sinks are reverisable and i presume have markings as where to drill, just wondered what drill bit you would use and any advise as these sinks are £200+
many thanks

You could ask the manufacturer/supplier if they'll make the holes for you.

I would look for somebody to carry out the work for you!
It is an absolute nightmare and when it goes wrong there is no way of putting it right!

these sinks are from b&q, didnt know if anyone had fitted these previosly,
excellent advise so far guys now i really am bricking it lol:eek:

useally everything from bq never go's to plan.

have you a link for these sinks ?

i would def waint till u get a definative answer on what to use to drill it and use plenty of masking tape just in case

a decent tool wholesaler, will be able to sell you stainless steel tap cutter.
basically drill a hole in the sink in 13mm exactly in the centre of your reqd tap position, then you place half the tool underneath the sink, the other half on top place a bolt through the top piece ( unthreaded ) which will then pass through the sink and thread onto the cutting piece below the sink. tighten by hand, then get your ratchet out and tighten bolt. the bottom cutter is pulled through the sink and you have a lovely clean hole!! it has never failed me on a sink in 15years.

by the way if any of my clients provide stuff from b+q to fit, id ask them nicely. to ask b+q to come fit it.

forget, all the above. sorry im a plonker. didnt read the post correctly. stainless steel, and ceramic. wot an idiot.
sorry again.
good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all I have done loads of these and this is how I do
1. decide which way the sink is going in then turn it over to find the indent that the manufacturers have left for the tap hole knock out and measure its exact location.
2. Turn the sink back over and measure again to where the tap is going to be installed and mark with a pencil, then cover the area with masking tape so you can still see the pencil mark. The tape stops the ceramic from chipping.
3. I usually use an ordinary 8mm masonry drill to drill a hole through the centre making sure the drill is not on hammer I stress not on hammer.
4. Once the hole is made I then take a hammer and centre punch and chip around the hole until the whole of the knockout is removed, every so often turn over the sink to make sure your knocking out within the confines of the knockout.
5. check out the look of dismay as you approach your customers brand new extremley expensive ceramic sink with a hammer and chisel, Priceless !!!!
regards
Mike
PS
I have found that these types of sinks can be bought extremely cheap in france from Brico Depot stores, mind you that was before the pound became so poor against the euro

Last edited:
I have done same as unguided up to drilling 8mm hole , then if my bottle goes i have filed out with round rasp type file till monoblocs slide through ,
can be a bit time consuming but safe , ps i have drilled wrong side but only once cause its painful ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ceramic sink? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Here they are! Totally refreshed for this year. We have given a makeover to all of the BOXSET range. All options are now presented in smart...
Replies
Views
365drills
Welcome to ********* and one of our projects which deals with drilling holes into ceramic sinks (Kitchens) or ceramic basins (Bathrooms). If you...
Replies
Views
365drills
Above is our final location and you can see a typical contemporary basin holder for a bathroom. Ready to accept the basin...
Replies
Views
365drills
After four hours of driving from London we reached Preston. And Installed the PORSADRILL diamond core tile drilling system for very hard...
Replies
Views
365drills
Now available online from Tile Depot. The Bathroom Fitters Kit from ********* Click Here to see the page PORSADRILL BATHROOM FITTERS KIT...
Replies
Views
365drills
Back