Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Charging for boiler fault finding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Folks,

Do you charge for time spent diagnosing boiler faults? I believe it should be charged for but it seems a lot of customers expect me to be doing this for free like quotes.. Clearly there are two appointments involved, diagnosis and repair usually.

What do you all do?

Charge for the diagnosing but don`t say exactly what the problem is otherwise the customer goes and buys the part(s) but tell them the visit is foc or at a reduced cost if they accept the quote and you return to complete the job then factor it in to your quote.

Last edited:
Charge for it! You don't go privately to a consultant for diagnosis of your illness and then expect only to pay for the next visit for treatment, - do you?

I`m saying charge and offering the enticement to get the job then adding the reduction made back in to the quote in such a way that the customer can`t see it so it`s a win win situation unless you don`t want the job of course.

Last edited:
when boilers are broke and your there looking at what the problem is its very rare (never in my experience) that you don't get the job of repairing it

when boilers are broke and your there looking at what the problem is its very rare (never in my experience) that you don't get the job of repairing it

Good on yer however how many times have we heard of customers buying and fitting the part themselves or getting their friend to do the job once they know what the fault is if anyone is daft enough to tell them which I`m sure you don`t.

Last edited:
that's not unheard of. I posted the other day about a similar scenario which end with a boiler change

Last edited:
Good on yer however how many times have we heard of customers buying and fitting the part themselves or getting their friend to do the job once they know what the fault is if anyone is daft enough to tell them which I`m sure you don`t.

I can't recall ever having that once.

i dont charge for looking with my eyes.

if i take the cover off or get it working then i have worked on the boiler which is a flat hour charge!
if its then a quote for repair say fan, then i knock it of the price then add the hour to the part price. ;)

Think you have to judge the custard if you think you may be getting turned over then it's very easy to give them a quote and tell them the wrong part ;-) if they go with it then just arrive with the correct parts. I see this as a win win, but I don't really have the problems of people doing this to me. But I'm aware it is quite common.

Definitely charge for both, experience and knowledge has cost you money to learn. Unless the fault can be made good in the initial diagnosis, then it's one fee for diagnosis, especially if tools have to come out and another for repair. Take your van in and ask the garage to carry out exploratory work on a fault and then not charge you and wait for the answer. Too many people allowing their skills to be devalued by giving time and knowledge away.

Last edited:
I wouldn't visit if it was just to diagnose, only go if I carry out the repair
Most just want their boiler up and running again and don't want 3 quotes like a larger job

Definitely charging for 2 visits just saying you can be seen to be a nice man whilst collecting all the money.

I charge 50 quid to look at boiler no matter what , separate charge for repair.

Got one trying it on at the moment tho so see how that pans out

Done work for company's in the past all charge for dialogistic work usely first hr or call out charge. you have to cover you overheads,

I wouldn't visit if it was just to diagnose, only go if I carry out the repair
Most just want their boiler up and running again and don't want 3 quotes like a larger job

I'm yet to come across a customer who wants more than 1 person to quote for a repair? As said, they just want their boiler working (except those internet sites - Mybuilder, Check-a-trade, etc). Like Redshaw, I do not charge if I have my habds in my pocket and just have a look. Once I take off cover or use tools to aid diagnosis, I charge

With boiler faults its either I'm coming to fix it or you'll be getting somebody else. Don't see the point in saying I'll charge ÂŁ50 to tell you what's wrong and ÂŁxx to fix it when it can all be lumped into one.

Although you could make a fortune. :)

i quite like the idea of charging for diagnosis and then letting someone else do it no chance it will be you thats lumbered with a spare pcb
i charge to hourly to fix, if its beyond economical repair then i charge the hour quote to replace and agree if i replace it i will discount the hours money providing youve diagnosed the problem correctly parts cost is irrelevant as who ever does it has to supply the same parts
if a customer is humming and arring i sometimes throw in a max labour charge of 3 hours for any repair

To those of you who charge to repair on the first appointment, how do you know with certainty what's wrong with the boiler if you haven't seen it first? Do you keep loads of spares in your van?

To those of you who charge to repair on the first appointment, how do you know with certainty what's wrong with the boiler if you haven't seen it first? Do you keep loads of spares in your van?

Nope usually check and check again and if unsure tell them maybe second fault something deeper but need to repair A to see if fault B exists.Never guarantee what your saying just in case e.g phone worcester tech help they never guarantee when they go through the little speech they have prior.

keep a few bits mostly vailant and a few thermistors couple of prvs so i can change the heads if need be

I always tell customers there is a minimum charge for the first hour in which most problems can be diagnosed. If it can be repaired in the hour with parts I am carrying then just the price of the part will be added on. If I don't have the part I will quote a fixed price to fit the new part/parts I have diagnosed on top of the original minimum charge.

just hand over an invoice if they dont want a repair, or if they do it all goes together once the repair is done.

I always tell customers there is a minimum charge for the first hour in which most problems can be diagnosed. If it can be repaired in the hour with parts I am carrying then just the price of the part will be added on. If I don't have the part I will quote a fixed price to fit the new part/parts I have diagnosed on top of the original minimum charge.

Same here. If you go out and quote for a repair, youve factored in the time for diagnosis. If you tell them what parts required they can ring round for a quote. But the other guy hasn't spent an hour or travelling time. So he's bound to be cheaper and get the work.
So I charge for diagnosis. If it's an easy repair I'll do it there and the for the first hour charge. Topping a boiler up, freeing a trv off etc.

I always charge for a diagnosis and I tell them what it needs. If I don't get the repair work I don't really care, still made the ÂŁ50 for diagnosis. As said it's very rare not to get the repair work anyway.

Diagnosis is the easy bit. You could make a killing just doing diagnosis all day, and with no comeback if you word your terms and conditions correctly.

The only issue I have, is if I turn up and a customer says to me, oh it's the kerfuffle valve, so and so diagnosed it. Yeh right, I'm still adding extra on.

Diagnosis is the easy bit. You could make a killing just doing diagnosis all day, and with no comeback if you word your terms and conditions correctly.

The only issue I have, is if I turn up and a customer says to me, oh it's the kerfuffle valve, so and so diagnosed it. Yeh right, I'm still adding extra on.

I tell you what ,those kerfuffle valves are getting expensive aren't they.

I do charge now I learnt the hard way. People to advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Charging for boiler fault finding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock