Discuss Chased pipes into wall. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Definitely too shallow as above, I'd speak to the plasterer youre getting in and ask exactly what he wants. Last thing you need is him not liking it when he comes to it after plumbers re done it.

Pipes in plastic sleeve pipes if possible and I would say buried at least flush with the actual block/brick wall so you can have maximum depth of plaster.
So typically minimum of about 12 or 15mm plaster imo

Having just spent 1 1/2 days locating and replacing leaking pipes buried in a plastered wall and also into sub-floor screed, my vote is deffo for sleeving or ducting. The copper pipes I dug out were corroded to hell. Also agree, 1 or 2mm of gypsum plaster will crack up.

Too shallow, it will crack. Fact is the pipework should not be in direct contact with plaster.

It can run behind plaster board but stucking it in render will create all sorts of issues. Firstly it will crack and it could also attack the copper, what happens

if you get a leak or you hit it hanging a picture. Repair could be a night mare.

Think of future maintenance and hiding pipework looks great now but in 5 years when a leak starts what then. It's bad enough taking up floor boards and a plumber will charge you a big premium for finding a leak in a wall and he won't guarantee his work from future leaks. Plus your insurance might not pay out

Last edited:
Too shallow, it will crack. Fact is the pipework should not be in direct contact with plaster.

It can run behind plaster board but stucking it in render will create all sorts of issues. Firstly it will crack and it could also attack the copper, what happens

if you get a leak or you hit it hanging a picture. Repair could be a night mare.

Think of future maintenance and hiding pipework looks great now but in 5 years when a leak starts what then. It's bad enough taking up floor boards and a plumber will charge you a big premium for finding a leak in a wall and he won't guarantee his work from future leaks. Plus your insurance might not pay out
There's is nothing wrong with burying pipes in rendered/plastered walls. They just need to be protected.

Yes we used to do it on new builds but when you have to repair them it's a right ordeal. Chasing out render and then cutting away tape and fitting a slip socket because there is no give in the pipework

Yes we used to do it on new builds but when you have to repair them it's a right ordeal. Chasing out render and then cutting away tape and fitting a slip socket because there is no give in the pipework
Tape isn't a proper method of protection though is it, it offers no form of protection from abrasion caused by expansion and contraction. Pipes should be sleaved with either felt sleaving/wrap or use plastic coated copper.

Reply to Chased pipes into wall. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m fitting a small basin on a floating countertop (30x40cm) and will be chasing the internal clinker block wall to around 100mm wide to accept a...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink...
Replies
Views
Hiya - posting in this forum as I'm guessing this relates to my neighbour above's boiler, but I may be wrong so please say if so. Basically the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock