Search the forum,

Discuss close coupled toilet - leak - AGAIN!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Dear Friends

How are you all?

I posted a while ago regarding a leaking close coupled wc.

I had it fixed but now it is leaking again,m into the pan, a drip but nevertheless a leak.

I have tried to tighten the wing nuts underneath, checked that it is not over flowing, adjusted the syphon, flush buttons etc.

Still drips!

Do you think I need to get a new donut washer? couple kit?

Can I also ask, in your experience, when you put the toilet together, do you use any LSX or silicone under the doney washer, on the connection where the cistern meets the pan? Tighten as much as possible etc?

As always, thanks in advance and look forward to your thoughts.

Have a good weekend.
Rocket

Holds it in place while you nipping together , stops it slipping which is what MIT of happened to your other

Yes I agree those daft doughnut washers have been a problem for years, about time the makers came up with a better way to connect cistern to pan on close coupled suites.

I've never used any sealant on a new donut and never had a leak. I have been in the situation where I had to re-use the old donut a few times (bad form I know), in those situations I have used silicone.

The cheaper makes, use those awful thin foam washers that perish through time. The thicker grade of foam are slightly better but rubber ones are the best. The kits that you buy don't fit every toilet as the donut washer can be too thick and heavy and no amount of tightening will make a seal. Go to a plumbers merchants with your existing washer and ask for a more heavy duty replacement. Please also make sure that the bolts have rubber washers followed by metal ones and really they should be stainless steal. I bin the plastic ones that comes with some toilets and use M6 stainless steel threaded rod, nuts and washers in their place.

When fitting the washer, fit it to the syphon tail first and push it hard up to the base of the cistern and hold it in place while placing the cistern on the pan. If done in this way and properly tightened (hand tight plus one turn with a wrench) then no sealants are needed. Tighten each side evenly and not one side in one go then the other side!

Be aware that some brands of toilets have a very short tail on the siphons and do not go fully into the donut washer to make a really good seal. The slightest amount of misalignment with these will cause a leak.

a ring of P.M on the the pan, where the cistern rests,
around the shallow dip that receives the donut.

I hate P.M. (plumbers mait) as it is a sticky mess. However, I got a tub to seal a close coupled Armitage toilet that wouldn't seal - had been leaking probably for years. Think this particular loo was prone to this. It still leaked with P.M. below the washer & when I took the cistern off, some of the P.M. was hanging down inside the pot. Had to use no sealant but just 2 flat foam washers to fix it.
Be careful with plumbers mait, as I saw a toilet that no paper would flush at all & the water spun in the bowl in one direction because someone had partly blocked the pot with P.M. accidentally.

Evening Best, you're right , it does want watching.I should have made it clearer,
I put it around the donut ,not touching the donut, definately not on or under. Dean.

Also check that the screws you are using for the cistern arent making the cistern tilt slightly off centre causing the leak. It only takes a slight angle on the cistern to ruin the seal. If there is a gap between the wall and thecistern you could always use a thin piece of wood and screw through that to the wall

So its dripping into the pan and not on the floor?

I'd check the washer on the flush valve or look at the water level. Whats all this talk of doughnuts if it's dripping into pan?

So its dripping into the pan and not on the floor?

I'd check the washer on the flush valve or look at the water level. Whats all this talk of doughnuts if it's dripping into pan?
sounds like internal overflow to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to close coupled toilet - leak - AGAIN!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there. I have a Cersanit close coupled toilet which as started leaking between the cistern and the bowl when flushed. I've taken the cistern off and this is what I see. I'm assuming the issue is with the silicon gasket (please see attached photos) but can't seem to find a replacement...
Replies
Views
P
Our builder set up the soil pipe and supply for the closed couple toilet but says it's actually impossible to connect to the wall securely (ie he says he can't get bolts in). It's silicone'd to the floor which he is claiming is fine. Is this right? There must be a way even if in means breaking...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
Any ideas on the a decent flush to wall close coupled toilet/brand? Should I just go for Victoria Plumb Orchard brand? Just to clarify I'm not looking for a btw type with a hidden cistern. I'm looking for a flush to wall close coupled loo i.e.so you cant see soil pipe/so theres no open back/no...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter put an isolation valve on the pipe work for this :-(, the copper pipe comes up from a plastic pipe push fit. See photo. I did a tissue paper test and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock