Discuss Combi Boiler and using cold water storage tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lesc

I have a 2 bed flat in a block of flats and plan for a separate shower and bath. I'm replacing the existing vented system with a Worcester Combi and have had quotes from 2 gas engineers.

I asked about any problems with showering if there is simultaneous use of, say, the washing machine and dishwasher. I was told that the shower may be affected because of the heavy demand upon the mains supply - even if they are only set up to use cold fill.

What I cannot understand is why everything has to come from the mains and we cannot utilise water in the storage tank on the roof. Why can't the mains supply provide for drinking water and hot water via the combi and allow the cold supplies to the appliances and toilets to be taken from the storage tank on the roof (as seemed to be the case with the old heating system)?

can you advise

Mains pressure is needed to operate the flow switch. The flow issue is not down to the main not supplying enough, its the boiler that can only supply a finite amount .

?? Thought it was the problem with unbalanced hot and cold. What pressure and flow do you have in flat? If it's a big block you may be lucky enough to have a Boosted cold water supply

if your cold water supply if quite good then dont worry, you could just not put the washing machine on before you take a shower?

What I cannot understand is why everything has to come from the mains and we cannot utilise water in the storage tank on the roof. Why can't the mains supply provide for drinking water and hot water via the combi and allow the cold supplies to the appliances and toilets to be taken from the storage tank on the roof (as seemed to be the case with the old heating system)?
can you advise

There's no reason why you can't do as you say in my opinion! Nothing stopping you supplying the toilets and washing machine from the header!

Hi Ermintrude - you helped solve an earlier issue for me.

The only tests they have done are turning on the cold tap. Both said it appears ok. One placed thumb over tap saying it seems fine and the other said that he should do a pressure test. I ran the tap for one minute and got 17 litres (if I remember correctly).

Hi lesc remember that even putting a header tank to fill toilets still needs mains to fill the tank so whether its mains filling the wc the tank still needs to fill so the header is not really much use to be honest,

I understand. But it's not likely to be me in the shower who will turn on one of the dishwasher/washing machine.
i suppose that what I am wondering is why two engineers arrived at the same conclusion - everything off the mains even when there is a cold water storage. Indeed, why can't the cold supply from the Tandy serve all the non- drinking outlets such as cold bath taps?

I would ask for a dynamic pressure test. Basically attach pressure gauge and open another cold tap. 17lpm isn't brilliant tbh ! I would be looking at an accumulator or open vent with a kick bum booster set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi Boiler and using cold water storage tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock