Discuss Company Rivalry in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So.. There are two plumbers who monopolise my area where I live. I've now started getting work through Facebook from a group my wife is a member to, of which I know these other two engineers get work from.

I go to a job today that I got from said Facebook group and while I'm there one of the other guys turn up to quote on moving the boiler.

I think to myself, hang on a min, that's a bit cheeky of the custard to bring in two plumbers at the same time for different works, but then after that thought I no longer care and continue working.

I've never been in a situation where it's dog eat dog in terms of work.. I'm thinking it's better if I just send the guy a message to say hello and that so we're not enemies.. And maybe if there's work I can't take on I'll pass to him etc.

Bad move? How does this kind of thing work? Am I best just not caring and continuing what I'm doing???

Strange feeling, competition! Lol

It's entirely up to you mate if you know him through friends / acquaintances it might make you seem the bigger man to be friendly it can also lead to work from them if they have too much and vice versa. I am really good mates with a couple of guys that come into my merchant. They are top guys and wouldn't dream of stealing work from me or me from them but it's always nice to have people you can call upon if you find yourself in a hole or need to talk through a problem. Contrastingly as I'm sure there are in every merchant there are several guys that we all take the Mickey out of because they are so competitive and think the way to do business is to stamp on every one else

Last edited:
I will give my 2 pence worth
We only do gas as well as refrigeration which is my core business. We do gas as part of a demand from customers who choose to use us. I changed a diverter valve on a baxi 105 in January when I turned up they were having a new bathroom fitted by another local bloke. I hate bathrooms he cant work on boilers.
People have even questioned me when I fix a leak and are surprised that I do plumbing

Agree it`s a difficult one and so much depends on the mentality of the other guy, some will smile and stab you in the back others will be ok. Don`t think I would send the Hi message myself but try and strike up a conversation if you meet like that again or in a merchants and gauge how it goes.

Agree it`s a difficult one and so much depends on the mentality of the other guy, some will smile and stab you in the back others will be ok. Don`t think I would send the Hi message myself but try and strike up a conversation if you meet like that again or in a merchants and gauge how it goes.

I think this is the best course of action! And I agree re: how the other person is. For all I know he could be slagging me off to the custard we were both with.

I`m like quality (post #3) as in local plumbers call me for sani work and I pass on the work I can`t do to one of them then we meet up for an exchange of drinks in a pub.

I`m like quality (post #3) as in local plumbers call me for sani work and I pass on the work I can`t do to one of them then we meet up for an exchange of drinks in a pub.

See I think that's how it should be.. End of the day there's enough work out there.. I hate ladder work so he can have all that for himself haha

I think this is the best course of action! And I agree re: how the other person is. For all I know he could be slagging me off to the custard we were both with.

I`ve got one local guy who slags me off for repairing whilst all he wants to do is make a fast buck replacing, we are never gonna see eye to eye not that I lose sleep over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Company Rivalry in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi all, Happy new year! Hope this is OK in this part of the forum. Been a plumber for about 12 years now, mostly commercial stuff with some...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a career change, currently working as a Mechanical Design engineer and have done so for the past 10 years, I'm now 27 years old...
Replies
Views
I've got a Glowworm Flexicom 24hx boiler and I'm trying to unplug the installer cartridge in order to wire up the ebus connection inside. From...
Replies
Views
I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge...
Replies
Views
C
Hello, I'm wondering if you can help me. I have an insurance company who is trying to get me to make my plumber re-quote for work to replace a...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock