Search the forum,

Discuss Creating Cheap and Easy Floor Plans in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWheating

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Most Plumbers and other tradesmen will at some time during their career have to use design drawings to complete parts of their work. If you have worked on New Build then you should be very familiar with the types of drawings needed in our trade. The most popular being a basic 2D Floor Plan layout drawing with details of the installation you need to fit. These drawings often include positions of appliances,fixtures, pipe routes,pipe sizes and any other details required by the installer to make sure the work is completed correctly.

Obviously most companies working along side large builders and landlords can afford to invest time and money into training staff and purchasing decent CAD software packages to enable them to produce good quality drawings. As a self employed tradesman I can neither afford to spend my time or money on such items but I also do not want to loose work because I could not produce what a customer requires. I have produced a couple myself during the last year or two.

With this in mind I have been testing out a number of computer programs, with the aim to see if I can produce my own drawings to a decent standard, without it costing much money and a lot of time and brainpower. (I am a Plumber after all, who can only just work my email correctly) :)

During this process I have tried out at least 10 to 15 different programs maybe even more and of the ones I tried you could put them into two broad categories, CAD and Home Designer although some fitted into both. In the CAD category you have programs that in the right hands are capable of anything. These programs though take a lot of time and skill to use and are not what I was looking for.

That leaves Home designer programs, which are aimed at home owners, interior designers and so on. The great thing about these programs is they are designed towards the less experienced user meaning less time is needed to learn how to use them and drawing tools are simplified. They also due to the target customers have various levels of 3D rendering to enable “life like views” of your created buildings. On the down side I found that a good percentage of these programs could not be used due to a lack of basic CAD tools like drawing lines to represent pipework. This was a shame as a couple I tried were excellent at everything else, even some free-ware versions.

I am planning to post a few reviews of what i found to be the best software to use, based on ease of use, features and of course price.

Your 3D Home Designer 2 (Deluxe Edition)

RRP - £9.99

Price - £5.97 @ www.Amazon.co.uk

By - Focus Multimedia

www.focusmm.co.uk/shop/home.php

Windows XP, Vista, 7.

REVIEW:

Program Layout: with a basic but pleasant format it does not take a lot of time to be able to start drawing with this software and most tools can be found with ease.

Tools: you get all the tools needed to create basic floor plans, walls are easy to construct and you can even produce cavity walls. Doors and windows are just a simple click and click to insert. You also get a full set of basic cad drawing tools (including lines, rectangle, circle, arch, dimensions, and text input ) which are perfect for adding details and you can even change line weights which can be invaluable.

Features: the library of drawing symbols has most of the symbols you will need to get started, but the biggest advantage this software has over others is that you can create your own symbols and save them into the library for future use. This is an excellent feature, for example you can create your own BS symbols both plumbing and electrical save them and then all you do is drag and drop into position when needed. You can not save plans in standard cad file formats like dwg and dxf but that is no surprise and you can upgrade this feature I believe from the website. You can also import into your drawing picture files.

As with all home designer software this has a number of 3d tools to create 3d views of building, not that they effect floor plans much but they seem to be of a good standard but I have yet to fully learn how to use them.

Ease of Use: Once you have grasped the basics it becomes quite easy to use this software, especially if you have built up a good library of your own symbols. Floor plans can be produced at a decent rate and if you create some drawing layouts it very quick indeed.

Support : Included in the software is a built in manual, help tool, and online you can find video tutorials .

value for money: YES, for £6 how can you go wrong? The plans you can produce for this amount of money put some more expensive software to shame. There are a number of free software’s you can download but most don’t come close to the features this has.

Summary: It does almost everything you need and more and for a very small cost. Even a simpleton could produce a decent floor plan, I know.... I did. LOL . The biggest plus to this software over most others is the ability to create and save symbols, that alone makes it my BEST BUY.

you can download a trial version of an upgraded version of this software if you want to have a try, post your results please.

https://www.ashampoo.com/uk/gbp/pin/0260/CAD & Construction/Ashampoo-3D-CAD-Architecture-2

here are some example plans I have drawn up as well as screen shots.

Yours linford 1.jpgYOURS bath.jpgyour yplan.jpgYOURS3Dmaking symbols1.jpgYOUR3Dwalldesign.jpgYOUR3Dsymboldesign.jpgYOUR3Dwindowdesign.jpg

That does look a good program and for less that £6 you can't go wrong

Thanks for sharing AW this is really useful.
I am also just about able to use email so it was good to have that angle on the software.

well it took me about an hour to figure out how to get a forgotten password request from amazon today and i couldnt even do it correctly, in the end i phoned them up to save my head hurting! :)

Last edited:
I had to make use of a similar package and found one or two freebies on the internet. I also found a couple of great packages with a 30 day free trial and used one of those and never had to pay anything.

AW, sample screen shots look good, been looking for something similar for ages. Good call.

Unguided1, new the *** packet would come out, didn't think you'd have any room left on it though, with your draft qms on it!!! :)

AW, sample screen shots look good, been looking for something similar for ages. Good call.

Unguided1, new the *** packet would come out, didn't think you'd have any room left on it though, with your draft qms on it!!! :)

Cheers SG actualy LMAO, to be honest I am very interested in this as I am getting bored with trying to design systems by drawing with me crayons on me laptop moniter

Another one i have tried and recommend.

Chief Architect Home Designer Suite 9

RRP – £59.99

Price - £39.02 @ www.amazon.co.uk (version 10)

by Chief Architect

Home Design Software - Home Design Projects

(please note that it has now been updated to version 10)

REVIEW:

Program Layout: the company that makes this software Chief Architect makes some very expensive CAD software, and this shows through in this version of there home designer software. The layout design and program structure is very clean and slick, and it feels very professional.

Tools: everything you need to create good looking floor plans is here, walls are easy to draw and you can choose between several wall types. Door, windows, stairs are very easy to place. You also get all the needed basic cad drawing tools to help you add details to the drawing (line, circle, rectangle, arc, dimensions, and text including others) the only negative being that you can not alter line weights.

Features: you get a vast library to select objects from, most things are there for detailing a floor plan but you can not create your own symbols which is a shame. On the plus side you can save/export your drawing in a standard cad file format (dxf), so it can be viewed by people that do not have this software. You can import picture files and add to the drawing so you can add company logo's and manufactures diagrams.

The quality of its 3d tools and rendering is very good and although this wont effect your basic floor plans if you were interested in these features this is the best software I have tried.

Ease of Use: Compared to most of the competition this is nice and easy to use, the learning curve is not that big and it becomes enjoyable to use after a while.

Support : the support available is very good, you get the normal built in manual and help function but you also get a large amount of guides and video tutorials online to guide you though different things. You can also join there talk forum to discuss problems.

value for money: its very good value for money, especially if you will use the 3d side of the program.

Summary: This software is excellent, and my personal favourite to use, you may not see it from my example plans but when printed out they do look very clean and professional. If it had a set of 2d BS symbols and a line weights tool then I could not fault it at all. If you are looking for the full home design package then I would get this.

You can not download a free trial of this software, you can download a free trial of there full cad software if you want.

At www.chiefarchitect.com/

here are a few screen shots and example plans.

CA floorplan.jpgCA floorplan2.jpgCAbathroomlayout.jpgCAkitchen.jpgCAplan1.jpg

Attachments

• CAPIC1.jpg
    CAPIC1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I had to make use of a similar package and found one or two freebies on the internet. I also found a couple of great packages with a 30 day free trial and used one of those and never had to pay anything.

thats how i tryed most of the software i have, checkout the links to trials. I think when you have a free trial once, you cant download it again. I have been told that if you know how to remove the registry files from the download then it may be possible to just keep using the free trial.

its also best to make sure that you can save and print as some free trials not let you, to try and make you buy it. some even leave a water mark on your printouts until you purchase the full version.

I will post a full list of all the software i have tried including the free ones and then if anyone uses them, hopefully they can post a review and let us know whats its like.

Last edited:
Google sketchup its free!

last time i used it which was a few years ago i found it very hard to use and currently i cant get it to work on my computer, keep getting an error on load up.

Have you used it? post your experiences please.

I must say on reading this post i am thinking what is the point.
On new build or for extentions the drawings are supplied and if the builder or archietech wants an as is pipework drawing i do it on one of theirs in pencil. No one else ever gets a drawing because they don't require one and i am not being paid for it. Gas line diagrams are never required for domestic stuff.
If they want to know where the pipes are in 10 years time phone me and for a small fee i'll do my best to remember :lol:

sketchup.jpg This is a 3d project I have been doing on google sketchup, only downloaded it the other day and just trying to get my head round it

sofa.jpgfront room shelving.jpg

Sketch up is a amazing bit of free kit, I've done all my house with it. Making my rooms and playing around with ideas etc.

Wow Tweakboy , that looks cool. i must say sketch up can produce some good stuff in the right hands.

I must say on reading this post i am thinking what is the point.
On new build or for extentions the drawings are supplied and if the builder or archietech wants an as is pipework drawing i do it on one of theirs in pencil. No one else ever gets a drawing because they don't require one and i am not being paid for it. Gas line diagrams are never required for domestic stuff.
If they want to know where the pipes are in 10 years time phone me and for a small fee i'll do my best to remember :lol:

I understand that for most private jobs you would not need drawings. if you wanted to get work with any builders that builds for local landlords and housing bum. you would have to be able to produce drawings to a decent standard and provide design specifications and liabilty. Pencil lines are not good enough for most builders that have promissed there client professional drawings. I guess it depends on what work you are going for, to be able to produce drawings is another selling point in an ever competitive and tight market space.

A builder, especially bigger ones, will never ask for anything other than an as is drawing which will be passed to their architect who, for an arm and a leg, will produce a proper set of drawings. It is not the responsibility of the plumber to do proper drawings. If you are pushed, knock it back to them.
Large plumbing firms may offer these services which will be done by architects and someone will be paying well for them.
If you are asked to spec materials get the manufacturer involved.

I & C gas stuff needs a line diagram provided which is easily drawn by hand on an A4 or A3 and laminated.

Where drawings can undoubtedly be an advantage, is to private individuals. They love to see 3d drawings of how their bathroom of kitchen layout will look. This is where programs like sketch up would come in handy, but only if it can be done reasonably quickly. Kitchen and bigger bathroom companies have offered this for years. Most merchants will spit them out for you too if you ask.

2d plans are of little use to the average customer as they have little perception of what they are actually looking at and a pipework layout even less use.
If you are giving pipe layouts to customers, never give one until the work is done. Why plan the work for someone else to follow your drawing.

i guess we have different experiences of how builder/clients work.

My old company who worked for taylor wimpey, lovells, FHM, Thomas Vale and many other builders over 25 years or so was required to produce there own layout (both plumbing and electrical) drawings with a full design specification for plenty of jobs, this ranged from sites with 12 flats to sites with 300+ houses. Builders will not request plumbing and electrical designs from architects because they would cost a fortune as they would employee design engineers etc... my old firm used a £35 computer program to make all its drawings. I guess we have different experiences of these types of jobs but my old firm won plenty of work while being able to produce what its customers requested of them.

When you say average customer you have to remember that not all your customers are single jobs, large landlords and housing bum. would require you to provide a design for approval by there clarke of works. If you only ever and ever will do one off private work then you may have no need, if you go into contracting work you will at some point be expected to provide things like design drawings, design liabilty insurances.

With some builders its a good idea to supply drawings and request written approval of them, so when they ask you to move a fixture you can prove it was first in the correct possition. This will make your qs's job easier to claim the dayworks as he/she can prove the work was correct before being relocated. We all know that builder do not like to pay out day works even if its been signed off by site agent.

Yes! I agree you have to be able to do a drawing and plan even if its just a site sketch to send to the office. A good cheap program I use is Serif Draw X4 its not really a CAD program and its basic. You have to shop around though to get the best price for it.

But it does me and it can be used for all kinds of other things, such as posters and the like. Being retired I mostly use it to show people a proposed layout and if I can get my head around it, which mostly I can't it seems, it will do 3D as well. It all depends what and how you like to draw which program you get. I find the real CAD programs are far to complicated and often it takes ages to do something simple.

But then I think a Plumbing company should be able to produce a proper working drawing for plumbing layouts. And yes do not forget insurance.

Just to reiterate what others have said sketchup is a brilliant free program, i use it to design kitchens, bathrooms, floorplans and complete refurbs, once you get the basics it is incredibly quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Creating Cheap and Easy Floor Plans in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock