Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss deposits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

do you lads request a deposit when taking up a new customer, as this case social services.?.
payment is 2-4 weeks i believe and is for a full heating pack and 2 electric fires.
its working out around £3500 as a guide.
thanks

Who is paying you?

if the customer I'd get money for the materials. If they get a grant they may spend it on a new tv then your in trouble, your relying on them to get the grant, so many potential problems

If social paying they probably won't agree to pay you anything in advance.

Not generally, but may be keen on doing it in the future, even if it's to cover materials. Especially if you are having to pull out for the materials straight away and not putting on account with a regular supplier.

Congrats on the 5000 :) :) :)

dont normaly do so, but sometimes think its a good idea esp with big material jobs. if there is a dispute at least will not be out of pocket on materials

I'd love to continue to charge only when I'm finished as I feel it's much more professional but so many people these days seem to lose their wallets at payment time that it's tempting to demand (not ask) for a materials deposit.

Always get a deposit up front why should you give credit to a customer you dont even know if they want credit let them borrow from the bank.

60/40 generally and will accept 50/50. Customers perfectly happy with it.

some jobs i have asked for deposit upfront for materials and have not got the job maybe that was case they were bad payer or never had money in first place

My Mother in law had Social Services provide a new bathroom/ wetroom. After they told her the money had been granted to her it took another six months for men with clipboards and the three plumbing firms to sort out prices. When that was all done there was another wait for the firm to get started. I presume the contractor was paid directly. I guess the Council take the usual couple of months to pay invoices.
What puzzled me was the three quotes for every job and not appointing one contractor for the years work.

Last edited:
This is where I feel it's more professional to supply and fit, then ask for payment.

Alternatively, it would be better to quote, have it accepted then ask for a (non refundable) deposit of say £100 to cover the cost of the quote, travel, time, etc. Then arrange a fitting date and ask for materials deposit 7 days before the work starts and final payment on completion.

You will lose jobs if asking for deposits. Some will see at you have no money or credit to buy the goods so maybe not to be trusted.

i usually find when social services are paying, your not likely to get a deposit from them or the customer. most customers relying on s/s for payment dont have a deposit. i'am assuming you have seen paperwork from s/s granting payment to customer, if so i'd do the job without a deposit.

what about requesting payment for materials once on site, then the rest when job is completed

i usually find when social services are paying, your not likely to get a deposit from them or the customer. most customers relying on s/s for payment dont have a deposit. i'am assuming you have seen paperwork from s/s granting payment to customer, if so i'd do the job without a deposit.
its social services not 'security'. i have done a job 3-4 weeks ago they said i will be paid in a couple and still waiting for check to be processed. could be promising as i have done 3 jobs so far (not paid for any yet.tut!.) but need the contact and work offers.

Forgive me but it seems bonkers not to get a material deposit!

A full install ch could cost u easy £2000. Who's got that kinda money to front?

What if they mess u about with payment? Ur then left with materials fitted in a house that u are paying for. Even if u have credit for plumb centre or whoever it doesn't sit well with me to have debt when I'm unsure of payment. I suppose it's different with repeat customers though

You won't get a deposit from a gov body as has been said. As long as they are authorising the work and issuing an order number or whatever system they use you will be fine. Usually invoiced one month paid the end of the next month but sometimes they push it through a bit quicker for small companies but you will get it.

if you are dealing direct with social services you probably wont get a deposit . every now and then you have to take a gamble. there could be more work there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to deposits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock