Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss DHW on a drained system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per the heading, i wanted to ask is it possible to still use a boiler if for example the CH water out and in were both isolated at the boiler? I know we are not suppose to ask about boiler repairs etc unless you are GSR qualified, however this isnt a repair as such.
What i would like to do is remove all the central heating radiator from the house so that i can decorate behind them, paper, paint and add a radiator reflector etc
Also while theyre off, flush them out in the garden with a hose.The system has X400 in it at the moment :)
I know one possible way would be to isolate all the radiators at the valves, however i would like to avoid this if possible as last weekend i tried this on the one fitted at the downstairs landing and as i think they were both seized, because as soon as i turned them water started to come out of them regardless of whether i closed them back up or not. (I moved into this property with my brother around 10 years ago and a long story short he has moved out now so ive taken the steps to make changes and improvements.)
So i popped into screwfix and purchased a pair of lockshield valves to replace the leaking ones (after draining the system) only to find i had to change the radiator tails!
I managed to change one however the other tail snapped midway screwing it in. In the end i took the radiator off and took it to my dads MOT centre (more a mot lol! j/k) we ended up using a hacksaw blade to make a slight incision in the screwhead so that we could knock it around and out with a screwdriver. In the end it came out, flushed the radiator and fitted the new valves. So you can see, how im kind scared from this experience!!
Basically i was thinking, isolate the CHW In and Out with some valves near the boiler (get someone to fit them) and maintain the pressure? Not sure if this will work.
I could drain the whole system and work on the walls behind the radiators but might take me a couple of days or so, which will mean no DHW.
Also the other question i would like to ask is, i am looking to fit a filter as there was never one installed when we moved in. We have Ariston MicroCombi 23.
I know a filter of choice is subjective however all i seem to find is the following:
MagnaClean - Leak issues
Fernox TF1 - Leak Issues
Spirotrap MB3 - Doesnt come with isolation valves.
Sentinal Elimantor and Nano Elimnator - not much information available.
I dont want to spend too much as i would like to replace the boiler at some stage seiing as tho this is an old combi boiler over 10 years old. I was leaning towards a Sentinal Nano as i could probably pick one up cheap. Your thoughts?
I could post a pic of the pipes from my boiler if it would help answer my questions.
Thanks guys :)

Sorry to say no as it needs a rad to dump heat / flow into

Can't fit ISO valves to the main flow and return sorry

TBH I wouldn't bother with a filter as the boiler would be at the worse case (no benefit to fitting a filter)

Sorry I forgot to ask, any reason why I shouldn't install a filter on it?
It's been serviced regularly and works like clockwork, obv I want to try and prolong its life as much as I can

Sorry I forgot to ask, any reason why I shouldn't install a filter on it?
It's been serviced regularly and works like clockwork, obv I want to try and prolong its life as much as I can

wont help it now only help the new boiler when its installed so get it put on when you decide to have a new boiler

heat exchanger is already dirty

Ok I see what you mean.
So I guess using a chemical such as x400 or x800 etc would be pointless.

wont harm and will clean your rads

On a side note, what if I got the heat exchanger replaced? Would it be worth getting a filter installed then? I've heard parts for these boilers are quite cheap

You can pick up a rolled lead hex for that boiler for about ÂŁ220 + GSR labour on top.
So approx total ÂŁ320 - ÂŁ350 ish. But why bother mate. The money would be better spent put towards a new boiler rather than on a 10yr+ old boiler. But fit a magnaclean if you do decide to change the Hex. Then it's there for when it packs up alltogether & you are ready for the new boiler. If your flushing your rads out dont forget to put a decent inhibitor back in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DHW on a drained system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock