Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss DIYer worried about his DIY plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diytom

Hi all, sorry to trouble you. Im a diyer, not a plumber. Just dabble a bit with a spanner.

My mother needed a ink removed (basin I think its called here) from one of her bedrooms, its an old property.

Anyway, I removed the basin, took up some flooring and cut the pipe as close to the "t" as I could. I used a compression stop end and thought I would be clever to use plumbers mate to help it seal. I put the plumbers mate around the thread. I have now read that I should have put the putty around the olive or end of the pipe?

I tightened the caps with wrench and pump pliers. Turned the water back on and as far as I could tell there wasn't any leaks so put the flooring back down.

Im worried though that the joint will leak as I put the plumbers mate in the wrong place? If it was to fail would it just slowly weep or would it leak quite a lot? Im going back to Mums on tuesday to check , will this be to late though?

Im bricking it in case the ceiling collapses.

Regards

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you checked the joint/cap and it wasn't leaking. I would say your ok. Plumbers mate and other jointing compounds are there to help movement. Asking as the pipe doesn't move you should be ok

wouldnt be using plumbers mate on potable water imho, its for sanitary pipes. You dont even need paste on it as long as it is compressed and not overtightened it will be fine.

Wow, under a minute you guys are amazing!

Thankyou so much, I will still check on Tuesday to make sure.

Another question, when I turned the water off I drained the taps until no water was running but when I cut the pipe (below the sink with the pipe still pointing up) water still came shooting out, enough to fill a cup. I cleared this up and then continued to lift the flooring and more water slowly rose from the pipe. It done this several times until I capped it.

Some compression fitting manufacturers like Conex once said you could use their fittings without putting anything on. So basically you would probably be unfortunate if it leaks and its probably alright.

when turning water off open all taps in house, taps upstairs let air get into the pipes and drain the system. You will still have water in the pipes under the taps as water can't defy gravity. Usually have a basin at hand when cutting pipes to catch the water

Makes sense. So is the plumbers "mait" :) ok to use on potable water?

and I just use these from Screwfix http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/stop-end-15mm-pack-of-2/65021

they ok?

its not designed for that purpose its a non setting putty for sanitary pipework. Jointing compound is used for water carrying pipes such as jet blue

if its on the thread then it wont be coming into contact with the water, as the olive is what creates the seal

Ok my fears are less now. Thankyou all for your help. We live and learn.

Yes they look okay. I would not overly worry just check if your unsure. If you still feel iffy about it, drain down and make sure the pipe is full depth in the fitting socket. apply a bit of jointing compound onto ring making sure none goes inside pipe and tighten joint. You can use PTFE but most Plumbers think it looks DIYish. But if you have a shower any loose jointing compound going down the pipe can wash into the mixer channels, so DIY or not if your not sure how to put jointing compound on, use PTFE.

BTW. was capping the pipe with a compression stop end the best method? I was told that soldering would be difficult due to moisture in the pipe and a plastic stopper wouldn't be effective either.?

should be fine, just check the blanks for peace of mind. any drips give them a tighten other wise leave alone.

Hi again.

My mum just called to say she hasnt got any hot water coming through. There is water in the hot water tap but its not heated up. Any ideas why this is?

Hi

My Mother just called to say she hasnt got any hot water since I turned the water off. She has water from the hot taps with good pressure but no heat. Her boiler seems to be firing up ok though. Its a Valliant boiler.

regards

Hi, I also didnt use wire wool to clean the end of the pipe. The pipe was clean though, just not shiny. Will this be a problem?

Hi again. I tried typing a reply on this thread but I keep getting a message saying a moderator needs to authorise message s I created another account.

Ive read that you must clean the pipe before using compression. I didnt. The pipes werent dirty though, just darker due to oxidisation. No paint or scratches and I used pipe cutters to cut the tube.

Will this be prone to leaks? If it did leak, will it just weep? Are compression fittings known to pop off or is that impossible?

Im worried because its under the floor in the middle of a room.
thankyou

tom

You are worrying too much. They don't pop off and you can get a good seal on old pipe without getting rid of the oxidisation. The olive bites into the copper and creates the seal and grip. If it's water-tight now it is likely to stay that way.
When most plumbers fit them to old pipe they will clean it up first but if the pipe is in good condition then cleaning it is just increasing the chance that it will be water tight first time. As with PTFE, plumbers mait etc. it's overkill but it's quicker to do a couple of wraps of PTFE than to drain down and take it apart then add some because it weeped.
I never use PTFE of compound on compression fittings unless I'm re-using an old olive in situ.
As you tighten the nut of the compression fitting it squeezes the olive into the pipe and also into the end of the compression fitting, it's been that way for decades and it works :)
Now breathe... ;)

Thankyou JC. Ive also read that using a compression fitting under floorboards isn't advised as you wont be able to see it if it leaks. Especially as this will be a permanent fitting. I did however use a Bosch multitool to cut a piece of the floorboard and 2 nails to put it back down, so it shouldn't be a problem to lift the board again to check once in a while. (old flooring so no slotted grooves)

Should I redo the job with a soldered end cap though? I was told this would be impossible due to water in the pipe. I do have some map gas though.

I know I should have got a qualified plumber in but we couldn't afford it.

Plumbermate is not for pipework or sealing compression fittings. It's a non setting putty that is used for sanitary ware, gratings and bedding in basins.
Use PTFE tape on the compression olive. Tighten the fitting first to compress the olive, slacken it off and wrap about 7 turns of tape round the now compressed olive. Don't put anything on the threads as this will only make it more difficult to tighten the joint.
Personally, I rarely put anything on a compression joint and anyway if it's hidden under a floor I much prefer a soldered fitting for security.

What abut water in the pipe when trying to solder?
Get your mooth over it and blow! In my ever increasing years, I find it easier to suck the water out with a wet vac. Seriously though, soldered fittings are not for beginners and in no way am I doubting your abilities, but if you ever do decide to use soldered fittings, practice a lot of dummy joints first in a vice.

If you have fully tightened (not overtightened) your compression joints, you are worrying about nothing.

Im going back tomorrow to check. If it is weeping/ leaking then how much water should I expect to see tomorrow? I done the job yesterday.

Im going back tomorrow to check. If it is weeping/ leaking then how much water should I expect to see tomorrow? I done the job yesterday.
If it's only weeping, there will be very little water and perhaps a damp patch, nothing else. If it's dripping due to the joints not being properly compressed, then there will definitely be signs of water.

The more you flap about this, then the worse it will become in your mind anyway. If you get a small leak/leaks just tighten them up, nothing to panic about!

If it was leaking then I wouldve noticed before putting floor back right? If it is dripping then will it possibly be enough to bring down a ceiling after 2 days of drips?

Hello Tom,
if it was leaking enough to bring the ceiling down your mum would have phoned you by now!

by all means check the fitting but if its dry stop worrying.
don't be tempted to give it another tighten "just to be sure" because as said earlier by quigley you can over tighten and then you might get a leak

If it was leaking then I wouldve noticed before putting floor back right? If it is dripping then will it possibly be enough to bring down a ceiling after 2 days of drips?
Yes after checking the joints you would have noticed.

Went back today. checked pipes, checked area under the pipes. ALL DRY! So glad.

So am I right in thinking that these stop ends are good now as no leaks, no need to worry?

dont worry, it sounds like you did a good job fitting them. Have a cup of tea and biscuits off your mother and watch the one show. :)

Dont worry if it didnt leak straight away then it wont,but i know where your coming from and i believe we have all been there,i still double check now

LOL @ One show.

Thankyou Guys and sorry for all my worrying. This forum is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIYer worried about his DIY plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock