Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Do brass female compression couplings always have a 'G' thread (BSP Parallel thread) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, do brass female straight compression couplings always have a 'G' thread (BSPP thread / BSP Parallel thread)?

I ask this because it's likely that I will have to replace a failed water hammer arrestor on the cold feed pipe that leads into my combi boiler and the replacement arrestor that I have in mind to use has a male 'G' thread (rather than a male 'R' thread / BSPT thread / BSP Tapered thread). I understand that the female brass straight compression coupling that the arrestor will have to fit into will therefore need to have a 'G' thread too (and not an 'R' thread).

So, it is safe for me to assume that the brass female compression coupling will be a 'G' thread or could it just as likely be an 'R' thread?

Many thanks if you can advise.

Re: Do brass female compression couplings always have a 'G' thread (BSP Parallel thre

lots of tape or a 1/2 flat washer in the fwemale

Re: Do brass female compression couplings always have a 'G' thread (BSP Parallel thre

No, you can't make that assumption. MOST (but not all) 15mm compression fittings have a 1/2" BSP thread, but some use other thread standards. Kuterlite for example use a much finer thread. As a rule of thumb, the more recent the design/product, the more likely it is to be 1/2 BSP.

Thanks for your reply, Ray.

So - just to clarify - most of these couplings are G thread (BSPP) rather than R thread (BSPT)?

same issue on hobs why don't hob manufacturers make them with a compression fitting most cylinder fittings are now

I think what I'll do - to save time and too much messing about - is buy two arrestors, i.e. the G thread one (that I would prefer to use as it looks to be of superior quality and is allegedly likely to perform better because of its more 'squared off' shape) and an R thread one to use instead - should the compression coupling turn out to be R thread. (Thank God for returns policies!)

Last edited:

Thanks, Tom - I hope you're right :)

who invented alphabet threads, bsf etc is all I know about

An update: As thought, the coupling in question turned out to be a G thread (BSPP) rather than R thread (BSPT) so the G thread water hammer arrestor fitted okay.

I used PTFE tape but the joint leaked, so I tried gas PTFE tape instead and that worked with one and half winds of the tape. However, I believe I must have over tightened the arrestor into the coupling as it's leaking at the far end of the coupling now (whereas it wasn't before)...perhaps because the olive has failed. So I am going to try and replace the olive or the olive plus a new coupling to see if that works to cure the leak.

(Any tips re doing this will be gratefully received.)

Last edited:

A further update: I took the coupling off and discovered that the olive was pretty much immoveable, although the jointing compound that had been used was still moist/pliable on the outside of the olive...

So I did a surf on the Internet and found a very helpful YouTube video which suggested ways of dealing with leaking compression couplings, stuck olives etc., and from that decided to opt for putting a few wraps of PTFE tape either side and around/over the olive. This seemed to be the easiest and quickest possible solution (especially as the plumber advised that in all his years of being a plumber this method had never failed to stop such leaks for him...and I didn't fancy trying to hacksaw the olive off the pipe)...And, it has certainly done the trick for me (so far anyway, fingers crossed!).

Just thought I'd mention this in case any plumbing novices like me are faced with the same problem. (I would post a link to the Youtube video mentioned, but I'm not sure whether forum rules permit; however, for anyone wanting to see it, I hope it is okay for me to say go to YouTube and type in 'FIX LEAKING COMPRESSION PIPE FITTING - Plumbing Tips' and it should then come up at the top of the search list.)

Thank you to all who replied to this thread giving their advice :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do brass female compression couplings always have a 'G' thread (BSP Parallel thread) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock