Discuss Do I need to change my water cylinder? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

A thermal store needs to be heated to 65° to 70°c 365 days of the year in summer to provide Hot water and for Heating and Hot water in the winter months this is not fuel efficient, gas and electric prices have now more than doubled and the system you have is wasting lots of energy , with summers getting hotter why would you want to have that heat emitting from the cylinder into your home it must be so uncomfortable ?
A modern unvented cylinder is the way you should be going , choose one to match the system you are having installed it may be better to talk this through with your installer. Kop

Yes, I was planning on having a plumber do it, but if a new tank is needed, then I’ll be killing two birds.
Your tank looks relatively new so whether it needs to be replaced depends on how the losses and running costs of the existing system compare with the losses and running costs of whatever hypothetical replacement system you have in mind. This needs to be calculated not guessed. The fact that the losses are occurring inside the thermal envelope of your house is also relevant to the calculation.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, ensure you check the mains flow rate/pressure before going unvented.
Thanks. It’s pretty powerful. At least 3 bar, I would say. It feels as powerful as in my last house which was measured at around 4 bar when we had an unvented system put in.
Put it this way, the shower heads will fly off the holders if we turn them up full blast.

Reply to Do I need to change my water cylinder? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each...
Replies
Views
After some advice, i have recently had solar panels fitted and have an Eddi which uses the energy we generate to heat the cylinder using the...
Replies
Views
How a thermal store boiler works! I’ve got an old thermal store boiler and I’m trying to work out how it works. From what I understand the boiler...
Replies
Views
I need to change my shower mixer and I have a unvented hot water cylinder. Is it sufficient to turn off the mains? Do I need to drain the...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock