Discuss drain cleaning chemicals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

got a job next week,

there is a 8 meter straight run under flooring through kitchen and bedroom of 40mm proberbly pushfit.
it is a straight run to the upstand to the sink trap and it is running slow, the run of only appears to be 8'' over all as its within the joists. i may be able to rod gently most of it and use chemical cleaner. the waste serves the kitchen sink and w/m.
any thought of which chemical preferance or methods?..
apparently it has been done a couple of times before with simular problems so a re-accuring one.
thoughts welcome.

I'd be tempted to use a snake on it.. unless thats what you mean by gently rodding it?

Hi Caustic soda is useful for this sort of problem. But it can be dangerous when using as the rapid action when in contact with water can burn your skin / eyes. Good Luck

defo would use a decent drain snake. I unblock drains and sinks everyday and im very anti chemical, never use them as they will wreck the waste pipe system! Snake it from the kitchen sink.

defo would use a decent drain snake. I unblock drains and sinks everyday and im very anti chemical, never use them as they will wreck the waste pipe system! Snake it from the kitchen sink.
a bit difficult that as the pipe is in the corner wall of the cabinets, disapearing down through the floor then into a 90 bend running 8m to outside?.

Hi. With a wash machine attached to the waste, they usually keep clean. However with such a long run the chances are if poorly fixed and acts like a giant trap holding water when nothing is using it.

You can access the kitchen sink trap? if you want to spend the money on a good drain snake then it would travel around all the elbows etc work its way down the pipe.If the pipe runs into a gulley outside, you could try snaking it upstream from there. Ive got a ridgid hand spinner drain snake k-25, never let me down :) and it has 7 or 8m of cable i think.Just depends on if you would want to spend ÂŁ100 rather than the crappy ÂŁ20 drain snakes they sell in b&q.

well thats it really, i dont normally do this work often perhaps once a month including blocked loo's. usually i just replace new pipe work or plunge.
sods law i gave a price for the hour plus new externalls to drain for ÂŁ60 and she took it. so ÂŁ100 on gear wont pay for itself in my case. i recon there is a sag in the run and its collecting fats.
my initial thought was bung some chemicals in then shove a line from down stream to drag the scum out?.

Some one shot or spirits of salts (hydrochloric acid) will disolve most things and not harm the plastic. Wear gloves and don't breathe the fumes.

I recently tried a chemical called Knockout on my own kitchen sink drain and worked a treat.

ps. be careful though if you use it cause pretty potent stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to drain cleaning chemicals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I moved into a house where the kitchen was moved from an upper floor to the ground floor, at the back of the house, so there was no...
Replies
Views
Aquarius
A
Hi Guys, Got a issue with a kitchen sink. I Installed a new island kitchen sink not long ago and they have been having problems with the...
Replies
Views
Hello folks, My kitchen sink waste pipes, which also take the drain hoses from the washing machine and the dishwasher (see attached photo) are...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm looking for some advice on how to tackle this... We have a slow draining sink in our utility room. When the washing machine pumps out...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, I'm a complete novice when it comes to plumbing related issues so I'd be very grateful for any advice. I constantly have problems with my...
Replies
Views
student plumber
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock