Search the forum,

Discuss Drain connections in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikeJK

Hi,

Can someone advise what obligations for checking etc when connecting a new toilet (well moved from another room) to an outflow and on to the sewer. In other words when you find some grey UPVC pipe under floor what shoud you do/check/confirm before plonking the toilet onto it. Reason for asking 1) not sure if any checks were made, 2) not who else shares pipe -flats / shops around.
Needless to say it blocked / leaked so the usual regarding who should ahve done what.
All was done under controls/PP etc this wasnt a DIY with proper(??) sign off etc.

Just want a pointer / guidance as to what could have been expected before the pipe was put into use.

Many thanks in advance

mikejk

really the first thing i would have checked is if the pipe was blocked or not going anywhere. where it was going etc. make sure it was connected and not cutoff

Hi,
Steve - Just to clarify it wasnt previously blocked, not sure if previously was properly connected or not, not even sure at the mo who put the grey UPVC there or if it was just used as was found there. The miss match between UPVC and clay caused the ridge which caused the build up not help by lack of fall. Not sure actually what is holding the two together.

PS - bet Hythe looks different these days - went to school in Totton

Thanks for any info any one has.

Thanks again

open man hole cover downstream from drain, put some dye down the drain and see if it flows past the man hole then this will confirm if it is in working order

open man hole cover downstream from drain, put some dye down the drain and see if it flows past the man hole then this will confirm if it is in working order
I suppose the question is whether you do this every time you replace / fit a new toilet?

nope i do not, and dont know anyone who does, flush it a few times is good enough for me, if im connecting onto an old drain which you dont know if it is in working order or not then i would check it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drain connections in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

As part of a slow DIY bathroom refit I've removed the old toilet from the original location next to the soil pipe (and obviously capped off the branch) and plan to place it the opposite end of the room. I was pretty lucky to find a 110mm sewer waste pipe below the old sink which is the new...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
L
So my toilet got blocked and none of the usual methods were working. I had a drain snake lying around in a kitchen drawer so thought I'd give it a go. I didn't bother to check online how to use it etc (obviously 🙄) I just shoved it down the u bend and wiggled it about a bit and all the Rubbish...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm wondering if this is allowed or will work in the UK. We currently have all our waste water connecting to a single vented stack. The pipes from the toilets etc connect to the vertical stack via a horizontal pipe as you would expect. I'm about to renew all the soil pipes. We have 2 entry...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Apologies for the mammoth post but my neighbours and I really need some advice... I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016. The apartment is still under the NHBC 10yr warranty. Since moving in, I discovered that the rainwater pipe that runs through my winter garden balcony...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock