Discuss Draining Cental Heating System To Replace Complete Sunvic 3 Way Valve Assemly. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

duttonmark

Hi, I will need to drain down the CH system to install a complete new Sunvic motorised 3 way valve assembly. The only drain tap I can find is on the pipework adjacent to the bathroom radiator. This radiator is permanently hot whenever the hot water system is activated--whether the CH is 'on' or not (I assume to act as a towel rail) If this drain tap is open, with the valve operating spindle manually turned (needs pliers to do!) to match the 'flushing only' position n the actuator, will this drain down the whole system? Thanks.

it will only drain down the whole system if it is on the ground floor. oh and welcome to the forums.

do you have any smallish rads on the ground floor you could drain down from? you don't need to drain down totally to change the 3 way, only enough to drain the pipework around the valve.

Thanks for your quick reply--and the welcome!! I'm in a ground floor flat, with access to my own cold water and CH tanks high up in the kitchen, and hot water storage tank in a hall cupboard---so that sounds promising. I was going to take the opportunity to do a chemical flush, and then add an inhibitor. I reckon that's (possibly) never been done---though the (very) occasional radiators bleed does just yield 'clean' water. Thanks once again!

Attach length of hose to bathroom radiator drain off and drain into WC . Occasionally lift hose to height of 3 port valve. when water stops draining at that height, you will have drained down enough to change valve.

also just to add, best to turn your mains water off otherwise when you drain down the tanks will be constantly refilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Draining Cental Heating System To Replace Complete Sunvic 3 Way Valve Assemly. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to replace the 3 way vale on my open heating system. Hoping someone can advise. In the picture, to isolate the valve I am going to...
Replies
Views
A
Hi The area is near Telford in Shropshire. I have a 25 year old system. A gas fired Rayburn heats hot water and CH. The Honeywell diverter valve...
Replies
Views
Alan Hayward
A
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a fully pumped heating system fitted with a Drayton MA1 diverter, after the summer run the heating stopped coming on, so I replaced the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock