Search the forum,

Discuss Dripping flue (and neighbour) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris.merrick5

Hi,

I have recently had a new combi condensing boiler installed in my flat which is working great but the flue does drip a little bit onto the patio of the lady in the flat below.

I have had the installer back twice to first adjust the angle an then fit a kit which looks like a submarine periscope!

It is still dripping from the very end slightly and the lady downstairs is complaining. What can I do? The installer said that with modern boilers this happens as the outside temperature is so much colder than the steam from the flue a bit of condensation dripping is unavoidable!

I'm quite concerned as the lady downstairs believes it to be acidic and a hazard! What can I do? Surely the cold air in contact with the hot flue can't be avoided?

Any comments or advice would be really appreciated!

Many thanks

Chris

Sounds like the flue is falling the wrong way, it should drain back to the boiler.

That was what I thought but the new flue pluming kit the guy put on has three bends in it and the top where the drip is coming from is about a foot higher than where the flue comes through the wall so surely it can't e a case of condense running the wrong way?

Imagine a smaller version of this
[DLMURL]http://www.burgeandgunson.co.uk/heating/Vaillant_images/VTK_ecoLEVEL.gif[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
not a lot can be done with this as i have said before dripping of flues is unavoidable the trouble is all condensers are fan flued the fan is chucking the water out,so a plume kit wont help,the problem is the acidic condensate will mark the patio

I've read that if you apply some sort of grease to the flue then it will stop the condensation accumulating? Is this the case and can anyone recommend a particular product for this? Would a generic silicone grease from B&Q do the trick?

Ive got this problem on a big combi Ive just fitted, the problem now is if the wind is blowing it blows the acidic condense onto the surface mounted copper gas pipe, Iam just going to have to fit a plume kit to direct it away from the pipe,.

Doesn't help but out of interest. Would a non condensing bolier have been permitted in this instance. ie over a patio area?

Doesn't help but out of interest. Would a non condensing bolier have been permitted in this instance. ie over a patio area?

No. For it to have been acceptable to fit a non condensing boiler the installation site of the boiler has to fit certain criteria ie if theres no where to run a condense drain etc etc (there is a check list).

I though one of the criteria was what was beneath the flue outlet. In this case someone elses patio.

Last edited by a moderator:
All flue installers should install a drip tray ,like a gutter type shape, just under the flue and attached to wall with a drain pipe linking with waste pipe. Done

All flue installers should install a drip tray ,like a gutter type shape, just under the flue and attached to wall with a drain pipe linking with waste pipe. Done

Shut up.

All flue installers should be competent, qualified and install correctly. Done.

What an idiotic statement. Goodbye mr troll

That made me laugh out loud! Any fule kno that the correct way to catch drips is to terminate the flue internally, above a bath, basin or sink....

<disclaimer - the above comment does not constitute actual advice and may be hazardous to health>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dripping flue (and neighbour) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock