Search the forum,

Discuss electrical bonding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

grzegorzk

Hi guys.
I have question regarding electrical bonding. During inspection I saw bonding cable at meter, but nothing at gas pipe which goes to boiler. I'm not sure, is it correct or I should classified it as NCS. obviously I was suggest to do it, but what about CP12? I should make a notice as it NCS ?

Greg

What's your opinion on it? What do you remember from your training or what can you find in the gas training about a bond being required at the boiler end

Guys, I know , I remember, the regulations said bonding should be at entry point, max 600 mm, before tee etc. but.... I had a visit some more experienced friend , and he said its a important to fit another crimp at boiler point, as we don't know the pipe through his way is break. But how? Somebody fit some length with plastic one? We know it can't be. Also he said , during inspector visit on his work while ago, he has advised to don't fit bonding on all pipes including water, just for gas one. As he can't fit it at meter point, which was at outside building ( customer live at second floor) he do it at boiler. But, water regulations said , all pipes should be bonded. I'm slightly confused now.

The protective equipotential bonding should be at meter or point of entry to property. Is there no AECV at point of entry to flat? Bonding should be there to protect installation pipewok in property.
There is no requirement to bond the gas at boiler as well although you may have cross bonding here.

your not an electrician so not competent to judge if the boiler/ systems pipework needs supp bonding, thats a sparks concern.

I had a visit some more experienced friend , and he said its a important to fit another crimp at boiler point...

I bet you get 10 friends in and you get 10 different stories.

My story is supplementary equipotential bonding may be omitted where...

The protective equipotential bonding should be at meter or point of entry to property. Is there no AECV at point of entry to flat? Bonding should be there to protect installation pipewok in property.
There is no requirement to bond the gas at boiler as well although you may have cross bonding here.
I am with Graham on this one.

I am not an electrician but I have to work & understand electrical systems as part of my job as a plumber.

(I also teach electric's to L3 C&G6189 plumbers for 6 months, so help me god !!)

I am with Graham on this one.

I am not an electrician but I have to work & understand electrical systems as part of my job as a plumber.

(I also teach electric's to L3 C&G6189 plumbers for 6 months, so help me god !!)

In locations containing a bath or shower, metallic pipes supplying services and metallic waste pipes (e.g. water, gas) local supplementary equipotential bonding shall be established but it can be omitted where all of the following conditions are met:
and it goes on…

Its needed with 600mm of point of entry to the premises and before any tee off and on the consumer side of the meter.

No need to bond at the boiler, there should be continuity between the gas meter and the boiler as plastic pipe wouldn't be used.

No need to cross bond at the boiler as all of the pipes are connected to a big metal plate anyway. If you really want to check wether it is needed use a low reading ohm meter and measure between the main earthing terminal and any gas pipework you want to check, you should get a reading of 0.05 ohms or less.

Yes it's good to understand the need for supp bonding and how to do continuity tests but if your doing a landlords cert you are not going to be paid anymore. Just check the main bonding at the meter and do your electrical checks at the appliance and jog on.

Checking the main bonding at the meter doesn't confirm that it runs back to the main earthing terminal though, it could quite easily be broken or disconnected somewhere. I don't do gas tests though so don't know what you a supposed to do as part of your checks.

This has always been a dodgy area, as a gas engineer the question is asked "ME BOND ADEQUATE" or a variation of the same thing, as a gas engineer I tick the box to say that the ME bond is visible, within 600mm of meter outlet and before the first tee, I don't check that it goes back to the meter, and I certainly don't check the ze reading as I don't have the qualification or equipment, or I mark on the sheet that the ME bond isn't visible, think of training bays in ACS centre, the bond may or may not be positioned properly ;-) but where the cable disappears into the partition where does it go? We don't check or know

Checking the main bonding at the meter doesn't confirm that it runs back to the main earthing terminal though, it could quite easily be broken or disconnected somewhere. I don't do gas tests though so don't know what you a supposed to do as part of your checks.
As kirk mentioned. We are not sparks and we do not need to confirm the bonding is correct all way back to earth.
If there is an earth tag in correct location with a visible wire going somewhere we assume it has been fitted correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to electrical bonding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock