Discuss Electrical fault finding? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys. I’m still very new to boiler fault finding but was wondering whether you could advise me on a particular multimeter or tester that would help with fault finding? The wife has been a good one and got me a Martindale ET5 open jaw tester but I’m unsure whether they’re any good? I can’t really find much on YouTube about them so any advice would be great. Plus, it’s not a cheapo, I thinks it’s inline with the Fluke 113 for price. Cheers

I bought a cheapish Extech one (approx £35), which was good, although the batteries kept coming out inside, but that might have been because I was a bit careless with it.
I then damaged the probes, but replacements were a little expensive. I then bought an Amprobe (now owned by Fluke) which is an ok bit of kit, abut more DIY, but they do better testers, cheaper than Fluke.

I’ve since bought a Fluke 117 (second hand from eBay), which hasn’t had much use. I use my 2 pole voltage tester more, probably because I don’t want to damage my multimeter 😉, but also because you’re now supposed to use these for dead testing.

Martindale produce decent equipment, so I’ll say it’s probably a decent piece of equipment, and ok as a multimeter.

Your Martindale ET5 does everything a reasonable multimeter would do, and to me looks a decent piece of kit.
I've an electrical background, and use a (Megger) Avo 410 amongst others, but your ET5 has jaws, and temperature measurement as well, so seems pretty well suited to me. It seems to have protection from being 'blown up' through selecting an incorrect range!
Just a question of getting familiar with it I guess?

General advice on fault-finding will be equally valid for any high impedance digital meter.

Don't use the ET5 voltage sensing feature for dead testing though! As per Undertrained, use a 2 pole voltage tester for that.
I use a Martindale one of those 🤪

Don't use the ET5 voltage sensing feature for dead testing though! As per Undertrained, use a 2 pole voltage tester for that.
I use a Martindale one of those 🤪
Seeing as the answer might save my life, what's the advantage of a 2-pole voltage tester over a multimeter set to AC Volts scales and then DC Volts scales other than you risk selecting the wrong scale and burning the circuitry?

You’ve already answered your own question, a 2 pole voltage indicator, approved to GS38 shouldn’t give a false reading, or being selected to the wrong setting. GS38 is the HSE document that gives guidance on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as the answer might save my life, what's the advantage of a 2-pole voltage tester over a multimeter
IMO, the non-contact voltage measurement feature is of limited use. You can't rely on it to prove a dead circuit but it might be useful in some circumstances, e.g. tracing a live cable.

Typical fault finding needs only very basic scales; volts and ohms mostly, amps occasionally. An audible continuity test is also nice to have. The ET5 has a backlight for the display and 'torch' facility, which is a plus for usability but it doesn't have scales for currents in the range 0.1mA – 1A, which is a minus. For work on heating/plumbing systems 'rugged' trumps 'precise'.

Where did non contact voltage indicator’s come into it?
The ET5 has a 'non-contact' voltage probe feature built into one of the jaw tips. Maybe useful, but not something to use for dead testing!
Edit - sorry Chuck - beat me to it

As an aside, I hadn't noticed that the ET5 dc current ranges started at 0.1A so that is less sensitive than a typical multimeter.
I think it can only measure current using the 'jaws', so you can't use the leads for that.
How often do you need to measure low-ish currents with boiler maintenance - I'm interested to hear if this is an issue?

Last edited:
It can be helpful when having a look at pumps low amp modes as most pull around 0.2 amps or less

So what’s the overall consensus then chaps? Get to grips with the martindale because it’s good enough or return it and get the 113? Cheers fellas. Always good to hear other peoples opinions.

Reply to Electrical fault finding? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock