Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss External cast iron (?) downpipe has cracked - what to do?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rob_a

Newbie alert - first time poster! :)

I've just noticed that the cast iron pipe which runs along my external wall and into which the upstairs WC empties (sorry, don't know the technical term - is this a down pipe of some sort?) is cracked and leaking water. It looks to me like only one section of the pipe is broken, namely the short 'Y'-shaped bit (again, don't know the terminology...) which actually connects to the toilet. Can anyone advise what my options are?

pipe.jpg

1) Firstly, is this a job for a plumber or a builder?

2) What are the 'proper' names of these pipes, so that when call someone I can explain what it is I'm talking about?

3) Can the split section be repaired in-situ, or does it have to be removed and replaced, and is this a big (read: expensive!) job?

4) The house is 60+ yrs old, and it seems to me that the pipe is cast iron. Does this mean that I have to replace it with like-for-like? Or should the entire pipe (I mean, all the way from roofline down to underground) be replaced with a plastic equivalent? Or are there other alternatives to consider?

Finally, any idea of how much ££ we're roughly talking here...?

Many thanks in advance!

Newbie alert - first time poster! :)

I've just noticed that the cast iron pipe which runs along my external wall and into which the upstairs WC empties (sorry, don't know the technical term - is this a down pipe of some sort?) is cracked and leaking water. It looks to me like only one section of the pipe is broken, namely the short 'Y'-shaped bit (again, don't know the terminology...) which actually connects to the toilet. Can anyone advise what my options are?

View attachment 13577

1) Firstly, is this a job for a plumber or a builder?
Well as a plumber i would be delighted to have this job, that said a build can do it too, but this is the bread and butter work for a plumber, but as a plumber im biased! lol
2) What are the 'proper' names of these pipes, so that when call someone I can explain what it is I'm talking about?
Soil branch or tee in cast iron

3) Can the split section be repaired in-situ, or does it have to be removed and replaced, and is this a big (read: expensive!) job?
It can be split as its two joints at either end of the broke tee.
The house is 60+ yrs old, and it seems to me that the pipe is cast iron. Does this mean that I have to replace it with like-for-like? Or should the entire pipe (I mean, all the way from roofline down to underground) be replaced with a plastic equivalent? Or are there other alternatives to consider?
You could replace with plastic but cast iron is so much better and durable, its resistant to uv damage, its resistant to wind rain and heat and it looks original all of which plastic is not. oh did i mention that if it done in cast it will out live you and probably the next owner!

Finally, any idea of how much ££ we're roughly talking here...?

Many thanks in advance!

Depends on what your local plumber would quote, i would prob charge £250- 290 plus materials as its gonna be work inside to disconnect pan and to reconnect it as well as to do work on soil stack not to mention extras should the arise. You may get this cheaper you may get dearer, but thats what i would charge anyway.

I hope this helps.

Hey rob,

Its called a soil and vent pipe - SVP.

Best and sensible option is to replace the cast with plastic 4" pipe. Case of cutting the pipe low down with a angle grinder and remove old, connect a fitting either AGD Connector or can get away with a straight pan connector.

Rip out and replace with plastic. I've just had to return to a job and strip out the bottom section of cast as the cust wanted this leaving in. Turns out the back of the bottom bit has now corroded through and toilet roll and other unpleasantness was squirting out over the wall.

Thanks for all the helpful comments so far; the consensus mostly seems to be to replace the whole thing with a plastic equivalent, so unless anyone else cares to chip in that's what I'll be talking to a local plumber about?

Cheers

Replacing the stack as already advised would be best for your long term interest.

usually half a day to a day for a plumber and his mate as cast is very heavy to remove, I would be looking at something like 350 ish all ink to do a job like this

the most important thing is how is the pan connected to the soil pipe if its also 60 years old and solid fixed youll need a new pan as well photo of the 4inch pipe behind the toilet and we can tell you

If you want a temporary quick fix, I have repaired small cracks with a car body repair kit in the past. This was about 3 years ago and it is still holding. It means cleaning the pipe back to the metal and may require a fibreglass patch.

Ideally, do as everyone says and replace with plastic.

the most important thing is how is the pan connected to the soil pipe if its also 60 years old and solid fixed youll need a new pan as well photo of the 4inch pipe behind the toilet and we can tell you

The toilet pan was fitted only a year ago, so is neither old nor solid.

Hiya First this is a old cast iron branch it is caulked with lead . not work for diy but if you open up around branch take all cast iron out and replace with black PVC you will have to cut cast iron in sections to remove this as the top of ppe wit 2 90 bends is rather heavy make a square cut at base of soil pipe and buy adoptor from cast iron to pvc the hardest Part is removeing cast iron when this is done simple job to replace Hpe tHis Helps DAVE01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to External cast iron (?) downpipe has cracked - what to do?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock