Discuss Faulty Push-Fit Fittings !!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtsplumbing

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi Guys, did a full house referb 3-4 mths ago using a leading brand of push fit materials, had 2 leaks one on first fill up ('O' ring ) missing, not a problem just replaced it, 2nd leak was 3mths after job was finished, Pipe came out of fitting (Faulty grab ring) House owner says its my fault, reported to local rep, sent off parts for lab report, but he says that once fittings leave factory they cant be held responsible, house owner looking for refund for cost of repair/damage ! so who is at fault ? Factory, my supplier or me ??

:D sorry to say you and why did you use push fit?

Get the Rep to put in writing what he said to you.

Be pleasant and say you need it for your insurance company to process the claim form.
Get it on a letterhead from supplier / manufacturer.

The home owners and their insurance are going to go after you - be prepared.

Give the letter from the Rep to your insurance provider - and if it is a reputable plumbing brand that said they cannot guarantee the fittings after they leave the factory - let your insurance company handle the rest.
Legalities of warranties - too much for you to take on without bottomless pockets.

Worst case scenario - you pay your excess.

And try to stay amicable with the home owners until this gets sorted...not overly - just keep them informed of the proceedings.

Last edited:
Rep will never give what he said in writing. He was just trying to wriggle out of it. He will know he is wrong.
If it is provable that there was a fault in the fitting, then the factory is ultimately faulty, although it starts with the installer is responsible to the customer.
Make a complaint in writing and verbally to your merchant, with photographic proof etc of it being faulty. Tell them push fit rep said what he said. Also same to your insurance.

Last edited:
Firstly, we need to separate the terms "fault" and "responsibility".

In a legal sense, the householder has a contract with you, and with no-body else. The only person he can sue is you*. You are responsible for his problem. That doesn't necessarily mean that its your fault.

You have two contracts - one with the householder (as supplier) and another with your merchant (who supplied you).

Your merchant also has two contracts, one with you, and one with the manufacturer. The manufacturer only has a contract with the merchant.

So if this goes legal, the cases run up the chain - householder sues you, you sue merchant, merchant sues manufacturer.

It is usually more productive to stay out of court, and have a conversation involving all parties. Often the merchant can facilitate this - I have done this many times - by acting as go-between and "honest broker".

*Assuming there was not a builder involved. If you were working for a builder, then householder sues builder, builder sues plumber and so on

Hi Guys, did a full house referb 3-4 mths ago using a leading brand of push fit materials, had 2 leaks one on first fill up ('O' ring ) missing, not a problem just replaced it, 2nd leak was 3mths after job was finished, Pipe came out of fitting (Faulty grab ring) House owner says its my fault, reported to local rep, sent off parts for lab report, but he says that once fittings leave factory they cant be held responsible, house owner looking for refund for cost of repair/damage ! so who is at fault ? Factory, my supplier or me ??

Unfortunately joe its down to you have been in this exact situation couple year ago with a leading push fit manufacturer. I pressure tested all my 1st fix in accordance to MI's had it witnessed and signed off by the builder. 11 months into a 12 month defect period fitting blew off under floor.
Fitting was not under stress all nice straight pipework , no scratches on plastic nor dirt yet i took the blame.Be advised don't use your insurance company because when i did once my monthly premium was nearly 4 times as much on my next quote .

Just suck it up I'm afraid

As above just take the cost or sort something out with the customer i'e you pay for half the damage,
And take a lesson learnt not to use push fit

Not sounding good is it? Good luck to you JTS.
I've heard a few tales of push fits popping off recently. Have the manufacturers become complacent? Cutting corners/costs?
Not good, I do use pushfit sometimes, used two John Guest elbows last week on a run that I couldn't get dry long enough to solder, the pipe was empty but kept glugging down from upstairs every time I touched it.
Pretty much all the new builds I come across are plastic too, so would have no choice other than to use push fit.
I know I'll be checking every fitting I use from now on.

This reminds me a few year ago on a site i was on we were using soma gold and had a fitting blow off , rep came out as we kicked up a fuss and we were sucking in shed loads of materials.

Got them to take responsibility over the fitting however the firm we were working for was a fair size and drawing in loads of soma. I don't think a small firm would have such leaning power to get them to admit fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Faulty Push-Fit Fittings !!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Was at a house today and their new oil boiler was installed in a pretty shoddy fashion. Aka Plastic tiger loop screwed to the boiler casing...
Replies
Views
I've searched this forum but cannot see anyone else reporting a similar problem with the last generation grey Hep2O fittings: they unscrew! Our...
Replies
Views
Evening All I used this forum over the last month to research my problem with the Logic 35 boiler losing pressure. Background - My 4 year old...
Replies
Views
Rand G Thin
R
B
Doh. Did not register but have now. Sorry about that! I'm no expert but this case seems a bit dubious Long story short: - My boiler (performa...
Replies
Views
B
I'm no expert but this case seems a little dubious to me. Long story short: - My boiler (performa 28 - potterton) has flagged up a pressure...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock